Topic: UFX External Clock a good thing?

I have a Fireface UFX.  I'm wondering if an external clock is necessary/beneficial.  I'm using the UFX stand alone without any other devices connected so 'syncing' my setup isn't necessary from a fundamental point of view.  ie/  I don't need to clock more than one device. 

However, I'm wondering if something like a Rosendahl Nanosync will improve the sound quality and reduce jitter/drift or if the RME internal clock is just as good or better.  I've always been told to use an external clock so that your system isn't drifting (slowing down/speeding up) when working (esp if you're printing mixes)...and I've seen mixes coming from guys not using any clock in a stand alone setup and they do appear to drift (if you look really closely).

Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

Re: UFX External Clock a good thing?

However, I'm wondering if something like a Rosendahl Nanosync will improve the sound quality and reduce jitter/drift or if the RME internal clock is just as good or better.

The UFX and other current RME interfaces have SteadyClock.

See also the UFX product website:
The SteadyClock jitter suppression technology making the device completely independent from the quality of external clock signals. Due to the highly efficient jitter reduction, the UFX converters operate independently from the quality of the external clock signal, as if they are working with internal clock all the time.

best regards
Knut

Thank you for your response.  So if I'm reading this correctly there is no reason or merit to having an external clock.  It won't decrease jitter or improve sound quality?

So if I'm reading this correctly there is no reason or merit to having an external clock.  It won't decrease jitter or improve sound quality?

Yes. An external clock could be useful if there is more studio equipment which needs a common house clock. But the good or bad quality of this clock doesn´t matter for the UFX. Thanks to SteadyClock it will always have a perfect clock source for the conversion process.

best regards
Knut

Thanks again for the reply.  My main concern is with drift when printing mixes.  I'm guessing the steadyclock is just as stable in that regard too.