Topic: Windows 7 audio service and aero fail if MADI card plugged in

Hello,

long time no post, but this one drives me crazy.

I have two W7 systems (one dual proc dual core Opteron, one dual proc quad core Xeon). On both systems happens the same: As soon as the MADI card (doesn't matter which one: HDSP or HDSPe) is installed, aero doesn't work and Windows audio neither ("the audio service is not running").

Does any body have a clue what's going on? Any hint is highly appreciated.

Both Systems W7 x64, both cards have latest firmware and driver.

Thank you
Axel

PS: Not a latency issue, DPC LC says 300µs max.

Re: Windows 7 audio service and aero fail if MADI card plugged in

Seems I have to reply to myself ;-)

To me it looks like this behaviour is related to the amount of WDM devices that are created.

If I reduce the count to only 4 or 8 W7 is happy.

Could anybody out there check this on his W7 machine?

Cheers
Axel

Hi,

Matthias and/or Martin, could you perhaps reproduce this?

Even with the new 324 driver this is happening. Do you perhaps know what is causing Windows to freak out when there are 32 WDM devices configured?

BTW, a big THANKS that the driver is finally able to allow multiple usage of the same playout channels!

And sorry, one more thing: I had a HDSPe AES and activated loopback on the first two channels. Then I replaced the HDSPe AES with a HDSP MADI. Now the first two channels still are red and I can't get rid of the red colour anymore, because Ctrl+click is ignored. I think if the card hasn't got the loopback feature then Totalmix shouldn't paint the channels red.

Cheers
Axel

I dual-boot my main HDSP MADI based DAW - and the "Online" W7-64 Home Premium installation works fine with Aero and Windows Audio / WDM.  Shows 32 WDM devices in the HDSP control panel.

Must be something else going on?

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

> And sorry, one more thing: I had a HDSPe AES and activated loopback on the first two channels. Then I replaced the HDSPe AES with a HDSP MADI. Now the first two channels still are red and I can't get rid of the red colour anymore, because Ctrl+click is ignored. I think if the card hasn't got the loopback feature then Totalmix shouldn't paint the channels red.

Nice 'bug' :-)

You should be able to reset this behaviour - just delete the default1.mad file in Username\AppData\Local\RME TotalMix.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Randyman

Randyman... wrote:

I dual-boot my main HDSP MADI based DAW - and the "Online" W7-64 Home Premium installation works fine with Aero and Windows Audio / WDM.  Shows 32 WDM devices in the HDSP control panel.

Must be something else going on?

cool

Thanks for the report. Good to know that it works. The interesting thing is that the two machines hardware wise are completely different. What they have in common is that both run W7 Ultimate SP1 (one English MUI German, one German) and that both have more than 4GB of RAM. And both have installed the MS Visual Studio suite.

As I mainly use ASIO, I can live with only a few WDM devices, but I would really like to find out what's going on.

What the two systems also have in common is that nearly every existing RME PCI or PCIe card was plugged in some day.

Cheers
Axel

Hi Matthias

MC wrote:

Nice 'bug' :-)

You should be able to reset this behaviour - just delete the default1.mad file in Username\AppData\Local\RME TotalMix.

Thank you. I will try on Wednesday when back in the lab. Red is a nice colour ;-)

Cheers
Axel

AH wrote:

I will try on Wednesday when back in the lab.

That does the trick.

Unfortunately my settings are gone also. Makes some klicking work for 64 channels.

Is there a way to edit the .mad file? Even in a hex editor?

Cheers
Axel

Can you try to save the presets ("save as") seperately (to a different directory) and try to re-open them after you trash the default1.mad file?  I'm not sure if the presets will recall Loopback settings or not (otherwords, might leave you in the same boat, but possibly worth a shot if you still have the original default1.mad file to re-load and get your original presets back).

I hate re-naming all 192 channels, too - but luckily I only use 48 I/O (144 total labels to fuss with).

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8