Topic: UFX as splitter?

Hi:

I would like to do some A/B testing of various preamps, and was interested in using my UFX as a mic splitter.

I am guessing I could mic a mono source and input it into one of the 4 preamp inputs on the UFX.  Then take say 3-4 outputs on the back (treat as mono outputs) and put them into 3-4 different preamps, and then take the outputs of the 3-4 preamps and put them in the UFX line inputs on the back.

Would this be reasonable, or inadvisable? 

Is there a better way to use the UFX as a mic splitter?

Thanks

Re: UFX as splitter?

A mic preamp cannot be used as a mic splitter, hence the word "preamp" (meaning "amplifier")

A mic splitter is just a passive device normally with one or more mic level transformers to pass on the signal to several connectors,
but with the same signal level and impedance, not amplified.

The UFX mic preamp as all other mic preamps amplifies a mic level signal and gives you a line level signal (much stronger), which
you can take out on any output, but it's still a line level signal.
Even if you use low gain settings, it'll go through the preamp electronics which will affect the sound.
Running this through another preamp and compare will not make sense, as all signals will be affected by the UFX preamp.

Normally a mic can drive at least 2-3 preamp inputs so you could hard-wire an XLR female into 2-3 male XLRs for comparing
a few mic preamps. If you need phantom power (48V) for the mic, just make sure you NEVER activate it on more than one of the preamps,
as it might kill your preamp electronics.

Geir.