1 (edited by bsfreq 2011-03-02 20:51:22)

Topic: Fireface UFX, totalmix FX and midi control

Hi!

Will you by any chance make all (or at least more of) the parameters in totalmix FX midi controllable in the future?

I've thought of buying the fireface UFX to simplify my live setup. And if all of the main parameters of totalmix FX could be easily controlled by midi,
I'd be able to use only the interface without having to route all my audio thru an external mixer.

I'm hoping to see the following parameters in future updates. This way I wouldn't really need a separate mixer and two interfaces to provide sufficient inputs and outputs. smile
My controllers will be Behringer BCF2000, BCR2000,
and various midi controllers without mackie control. I also read about the LC/Xmu and I'll definately try that out as well..

-eq for all channels (just a three band eq just like in a basic mixer, also reset to zero by pushing the encoders)
-FX send for all channels, (although I can probably route the effects thru ableton so this may or may not be necessary)

I also read that with mackie control you can't select which 8 inputs/outputs to control, but you're limited to 1-8, 9-16 etc.
Would it be hard to make it possible to rearrange the in/outputs in the mixer view, so I could for example control inputs 1,4,5,7 with faders 1-4 and so on?
I figured I can get around this by making internal mixes in totalmix and routing the audio thru adat outputs and organize my audio to adat inputs 1-8,
but is this really necessary? Also I loose the ability to use the adats for other purposes..

You'll see what I need all this for, if you go and have a look at my videos on youtube. smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA3eu-zqd0Q

Thanks for your help!
I've been trying to find a midi controllable interface for a couple years now and the fireface UFX is the first one that really looks promising..

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

Re: Fireface UFX, totalmix FX and midi control

Any response to this question from RME?  I want to know the answer to this question too.

It would actually be very nice if there was a separate MIDI-control-enable button on each in/out channel in TMFX
that caused the channel to be removed from the dynamic fader/channel assignments when not enabled for MIDI control.

I just did a live show using inputs 1-8 for 4x Stereo synths  and Adat1-4 for vocals (mono).
To control these inputs with my MCU, I had to swap pages a lot.
Page 1: 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, M9/10, M11/12, AESL/R
Page 2: Adat 1-8
If I could have disabled MIDI control on the M9/10, M11/12 and AES, I could have had all my 8 channels
on the same page. This would REALLY be a timesaver for me.
Same goes for the outputs, and the swapping between page 1 and page 2 on inputs and outputs
causes a lot of fader moves.
Typically I would use outputs 1-8, skip 9-12 on the front and the AES, and then use the Adats.
Disabling the 9-12 + AES, I could have my 8 stereo outputs on page 1 smile

This would cover bsfreqs wish as well, and it would probably be simpler to implement than a 100% flexible rearrangement.

Looking at the dynamic fader assignments which changes every time you change a channel from stereo to mono,
I assume that you have the proper sw functions to handle this enable/disable channel feature towards the HUI also,
and the enable button could for example be placed under the Phase button(s) if the Phase L, Phase R and MS proc buttons
were put a little closer together.

BR, Geir.

4 (edited by bsfreq 2011-03-28 23:18:25)

Yeah gkilsti, that would be one way to accomplish at least a part of what I'm after. smile

I purchased the fireface ufx a couple of weeks ago, and I've got it running pretty well by routing the audio the way I mentioned. You could do the same as well by making separate submixes. It seems that you have the other adat in&out available, right? Just connect a toslink cable from adat B out to adat B in. Then choose the submix for the adat out 9-10 and adjust the fader of the input port that you want to control with your fader no. 1. Then select the submix for adat out 11-12, and open up the fader of the inputs you want to control with your controller fader two and so on..

Now select the submix you want to use for your stereo output and you can control the adat inputs 9-16 from your controller exactly in the order you chose, and without having to switch between banks..

Of course this limits you to 44,1-48kHz, but when playing live, I don't think this will be an issue. smile

I still hope they will make the eq's midi controllable. You could easily adjust the frequency and q beforehand, and simply have the gains for the three bands controlled with your midi controller. Simple midi control would be great, because it's not limited to the 8 channels selected with the mackie controller.

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

Also I see that the solo buttons on my Mackie MCU does not work as Cue buttons in TotalMixFx for the output row (3).
This would have been convenient. I know that Solo is not the same as Cue, but the Cue buttons in TMFX are at the same
location in the output row as the S(olo) buttons are on the input rows, so it could be logical.
It's better than nothing, right? As it is now, the Solo buttons on the output rows are unused. Me not like it smile

I see that there are MIDI notes for Cueing phones 1-4 (D#3 - G3), but why stop there? Why not use  C4-G4 to Cue ch.1-8?
Or let the HUI Solo messages Cue ch.1-8...

Geir.