1 (edited by Patanjali 2011-03-06 14:59:43)

Topic: FF400 cause bluescreens when rotating the control for ADAT A5 to A8

Hello,

Just got a new FF400 after being pleased with our FF800 for several years.

However, there are some problems which I would like FF400 owners out there to see if they can replicate.

I am running the FF400 on Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Gigabyte i7 board with 12GB RAM. This system has been running the FF800 for years without problems and uses driver 3.0.34.

The problems are:

a. Rotating the control backwards and forwards a few times in LEV mode for ADAT channels A5 to A8 (ganged or not) creates bluescreens. No other channels cause any problems. This happen irrespective of whether the FF400 is bus powered from the computer or uses its powerpack with FF800 as a clock master. It did this with firmware 1.69 and 1.70.

b. In solo mode (direct connected to the computer, with no FF800 clock), setting the Sample Rates field only lasts 1/2 a second before it goes back to 0. However, it is actually working properly if I run a standalone instance of EastWest Play engine at 44kHz1. It keeps the set rate if fed with a clock from the FF800.

c. If ADAT or SPDIF is disabled using the Bandwidth picklist, their channels still show in the CH mode list for the rotary dial.

d. If ADAT is enabled AND a 88k or higher Sample Rate is selected, all eight ADAT channels (or odd ones if ganged) are still in the CH mode list.

For me, the last two show laziness in the interface design and force us to have to cycle through more options than necessary.

However, the first one is so risky because a slight lapse in concentration may result in losing a whole project.

If others are getting the same issues, then the firmware is suspect. Otherwise, my unit goes back as a DOA.

On music hiatus, so RMEs have gone to homes where others can enjoy them.

Re: FF400 cause bluescreens when rotating the control for ADAT A5 to A8

Thanks for the detailed report. Turning the encoder while an invalid channel is selected indeed causes an immediate BSOD, therefore nobody should try to reproduce this!

Will be fixed in next driver update.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the feedback Matthias,

Will the fix also involve hiding the invalid options?
That would reduce the number of channels to go through to get from an input to phones, and vice versa.

It wasn't ALL invalid channels - ONLY A5 to A8!

A1 to A4 didn't ever cause a BSOD, regardless of whether they were enabled or not.

My wife kept asking why it would be the FF400 because surely someone would have found it by now.

I can only answer that it is one of:
- no-one uses ADAT on the FF400 at all, or
- some use it, but never use the FF400 to adjust the levels.

And some say open source software is inherently safer because it is available for all to see and check - but it doesn't make it safer IF NO ONE IS LOOKING!

I bet the FF800 recursion test suite now has pot tests. I only came across the problem because I had just unboxed and connected the FF400, and was just seeing what the controls did, before resorting to the manual.

PS. Matthias, why does 'FF800, FF400 (bug in rotary pot logic!!)' appear at the botton of all my posts in this thread?
Our FF800 is not faulty and I suspect its pots are directly modifying the analog and so there if no logic involved.

Patanjali wrote:

PS. Matthias, why does 'FF800, FF400 (bug in rotary pot logic!!)' appear at the botton of all my posts in this thread?
Our FF800 is not faulty and I suspect its pots are directly modifying the analog and so there if no logic involved.

Check under Profile, Personality. You have added this message as your signature on this forum.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hello Jeff,

That's a very good trick since I hadn't edited my signature!!!