Topic: Windows 7 x64 with HDSP Multiface - Artifacts issues

HI all,

I've been a long time Mac user and just made the big switch (mistake!?) from OSX to Windows 7 for my DAW PC.

I built up a really nice 8-core 3.4ghz Machine running windows 7 x64 as follows:

GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3R motherboard
GIGABYTE 9600GT Graphics
Intel i7 2600 3.4Ghz
Win 7 64-bit
2 x 1 TB Hitachi SATA HDD Configured as RAID 0
8GB 2000mhz DDRII
HDSP PCI card (rev. 1.8)
Multiface (Nuendo Braded type)

I run Propellerhead Record/Reason and Cubase

I am having some issues with my Multiface HDSP giving me random pops and clicks sounding similar that caused by low buffering artfiacts but increasing the buffer makes no significant difference to the problem.

I'm pretty clueless about ASIO drivers (havent used since OS9!!) - Is there anything else within the HDSP ASIO driver that I should be looking at to resolve this type of issue?

Has anyone got any suggestions to how I might go about pinning down the cause?

Any help would e much appreciated!!

Thanks,
Jimi P

Re: Windows 7 x64 with HDSP Multiface - Artifacts issues

try these tweeks  the 1155  1156 1366 all need bios tweeks..

Disabled Speedstep
Disabled onboard Audio (if not in use)
Disabled onboard Lan (if not in use)
Disabled Core Parking - Disable Core Parking-if you can
Updated Bios
Updated Video Drivers
Optimize Win 7 for Audio - Optimize for Win7

disable SpeedStep
try turning off HPET in the BIOS

try this for now il look back asap

man, thanks heaps for the response..

I disabled HPET support and it seems to have made a significant improvement, not sure if this has resolved it 100% yet but I will check back to confirm..

BTW - I wasn't able to locate Speedstep in the BIOS - Is this a usual feature on Gigabyte motherboards?

Thanks again...
Jimi

4 (edited by v24s 2011-03-04 16:29:39)

Jimi : il do some reading today on your board..but the 1 fix you did should of reduced the issues by 90%..

Im wondering what chipset drivers for windows 7 your running
and is the videodrivers updated from www.nvidia.com
also windows must be updated, least here, i has to be ..
please use the gigabyte motherboard program to see if that board has a sata issue
in your case i dont think bios is the issue but i will read !! bbl jon

edit :www.gigabyte.com..    Intel INF installation
OS:Windows XP 32bit,Windows XP 64bit,Windows Vista 32bit,Windows Vista 64bit,Windows 7 32bit,Windows 7 64bit
    9.2.0.1021    1.20 MB    2011/02/08
only use giga-support plz then update the video drivers ..bb

edit:   CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) (Note)
     Enables or disables Intel CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) function, a CPU power-saving function in system
  halt state. When enabled, the CPU core frequency and voltage will be reduced during system halt state
  to decrease power consumption. Auto lets the BIOS automatically configure this setting. (Default: Auto) see this is not ON

ok after reading the manual i see little more i can tell you but do go through
each page to see what options you have and set what you can from the list

also see that powermanagement is ON always everything  .. have a good one

I'm a long time HDSP user and I'm also having this issue (or a similar one) with Windows 7. I get random pops and cracks playing back audio regardless of buffer size (my sequencer also counts 0 buffer underruns). I can make it significantly worse by moving windows around, popping up the start menu, alt tabbing repeatedly, etc. - This is not just with my HDSP but with other cards I've tried. I've also tried disabling speedstep, onboard audio, onboard, LAN, etc. I've monitored my DCP latency and it stays in the green (around 150u~ average). I can cut down on the artifacts, but similarly to Jimi, I just can't seem to fix this problem. I'm wondering if it's Windows 7 64bit?

I've tested with an HDSP 9652, M-audio 1010LT, Audigy 2 Ex - (the HDSP 9652 was in the machine at all times - I have no way to playback digital audio other than route it through another device via SPDIF). I never seemed to notice this before upgrading to W7. I've found things all over the internet about it but no real solutions yet.

Just installed the new beta drivers today so I'll have a play with those later and see if they affect anything -

My setup:

Intel Core 2 Duo 8400
Asus P5KE
Win 7 64bit
4x 1TB SATA
8GB 2000mhz DDR2
HDSP 9652
M-audio 1010LT (tried with Audigy Ex 2)

If the problem comes with graphical activity then you should search there. What graphics card?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've recently got back a refurbished card (1.7 or 1.8 I believe) but I'm still pulling my hair out experiencing this activity. I have an nvidia 7800 GTX in my machine. I've tried removing the card's drivers, replacing the card (tried 8800 GTX and 8400 GS). I've tried replacing/updating my SATA controller drivers, IDE drivers, motherboard drivers, etc. No luck with that. I'm using Kontakt 4 in my sequencers and I've tried with the samples from both an SATA 7200rpm drive and an OCZ SSD drive.

The following mp3 is from simply playing back in my sequencer (I've tried two different ones and both do the same). This is with the buffer at 2048. I can fix it by going up to 4096 but this kind of latency really isn't acceptable to use.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14503036/crackles.mp3

Here's my DPC over time:
[img align=C]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14503036/dpc.jpg[/img]

Is there anything else I could do to help diagnose this?

Now wait a minute. Do not just disable all and everything out of the blue. HPET (as in High PRECISION Event TIMER) is a good thing, if it doesn't work properly it's your mainboard's fault, get a better one. Speedstep and C1E don't necessarily have to cause dropouts neither, this often depends more on the audio software than anything else.

1) What software are you using?

2) Did you just "remove" the NVidia drivers or did you exchange them for the "Standard VGA driver"?

3) Are you using Aero or not?

4) Did you try unplugging/disabling all USB devices (including card readers)?

5) Did you try to use Microsoft's default IDE/AHCI drivers instead of the ones coming with your chipset drivers?

6) Did you try LatencyMon yet to get a better picture of what's happening (Xperf would be best, but it's more complicated)? http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

7) Did you try another Pci(e) slot yet? Are there any possible conflicts?

8) What Windows power-profile do you use? Use "High Performance".

9) Does it happen without the Raid?