1 (edited by Wyatt's Torch 2011-03-06 17:55:19)

Topic: Basic question: simultaneous input and playback in TotalMix FX

Hi folks,

I've had my RME Babyface for about a month, and have been incredibly impressed by the sound quality. Unfortunately, I've been having some significant problems that have prevented me from recording. I feel very stupid asking some very basic questions here, but despite my background in music production and my long experience in DAW-based recording, I can't seem to wrap my mind around TotalMix FX.

I'm probably not understanding the signal chain, which is likely my first problem. I've read tons of articles and watched various tutorials online, but still can't get things set up the way I want them to. So...at the risk of sounding very dumb, here's exactly what I need to do, and if someone would be so kind as to tell me how to do it, hopefully the big light will go on in my head.

I have a stereo keyboard plugged into the Line Ins. I have headphones plugged into the headphone jack on the side of the unit. I record with Cubase 6. Now, for whatever reason, I can't seem to set TotalMix FX set up so that I can monitor while recording, then playback when I'm done a take. It takes me a few moments to go ahead and reconfigure TMFX for playback. Frankly, I don't know how I should be assigning and routing the ins and outs.

Also, I noticed a problem with having my keyboard's MIDI in and out hooked up to the Babyface's MIDI in and out while its stereo line ins are inserted as well. Ideally, I'd like to have everything plugged in at once, be able to record either a VSTi or audio with minimal tweaking outside of Cubase, and be able to hear playback without having to go back in to TMFX every time. In other words, I want to minimize the involvement of TotalMix FX as much as possible and control most things through my DAW. I recognize that there are many valuable elements to TMFX, but for the time being, I simply want to record through Cubase, and I have yet to configure TMFX in such a way that I don't have to constantly return to it to reroute something or other.

Ultimately, I'm confused and frustrated. I'm sure it's very easy...but that's what's adding to my frustration!

Any and all help (especially of the step-by-step variety) would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to put Babyface through its paces, I assure you.

Re: Basic question: simultaneous input and playback in TotalMix FX

What computer (windows or mac)? However I am not familiar with Cubase, I use Sonar. In Sonar, I use recording as Analog 1 and 2 to record with. I set the gain in TotalMixFX on the top row left first two channels AN1 and AN2. On the bottom of that is what you want those channels sorta to go to. I use Phones 3 and 4. Thus I hear what I record, the levels coming in to Sonar and see the channels in Sonar on the tracks and the input level there also. (thus I think you could also pick AN1 and AN2, but that is for the speakers mainly, but I get both the headphones and the speakers, so I turn the speakers down.

The middle row is for software playback. Thus when you playback what you recorded, again at the bottom of the level meters pick what you want, but usually if you set one to Phones 3 and 4 then all will be set to Phones 3 and 4. Of course my speakers right now are using the Phones out of the cord (while I listen on the side of the Babyface with headphones) so that is why I get it also through my speakers. I turn the volume down on the speakers. Then on playback you should be getting (with the bottom of the level meters of the middle row of software playback channels) set to Phones 3 and 4, nothing on AN1 and AN2, but next will be Phones 3 and 4, and there the RMS levels should be showing a playback. Next down in the third row, nothing should be metering on the channels but over on the right side is the Control Room. I also set that to Phones 3 and 4, and then the level meters only move on that. I set my down in volume because my headphones are loud. Since I also have some small speakers (just using computer speakers to listen to it now, since my stereo amp is not hooked up and not self-powered speakers) on Phones 4, the speakers can be turned up and listened to there while the headphones are off. On the right side is Mix Settings to Store, I click on Store (in) Mix 1.

I also set up mix 2 to be a normal playback (of the software row - 2nd row) playback on AN1 and AN2 and in the Control Room I think I still am on Phones 3 and 4, but since now I have the bottom (you click on in the upper paragraph) row also, it shows up there on hardware outputs.

Thus the first row of meters (hardware input) at the bottom of one of the meters, that is where you set it up to where you want the signal to go. When recording I use Phones 3 and 4 which will be boldl, on the second Mix I store I change that to AN1 and AN2, which will be bold, and change all the meters in TotalMixFX to that routing. Thus the speakers will play, with the hardware output level meter, and the Phones are still set in the Control Room, and that meter will show also, but if I want Odb level playback I change the level back up to zero and store that in Mix 2.

After that you have 6 more mixes you can store. Then I store what I think is "Save" snapshot, since those mixes I think are in the Snapshot on the right side, and also store the Workspace also, but that is not so important and clicking Store at the bottom of the Mix settings that can be stored then clicking the Mix Setting I want to store.

The stuff with the MIDI I can not say because I have not use that yet. but I think in windows there is someplace in the Sounds Control Panel Setting where you input what you want to record with on the audio tab and I put in AN1 and AN2 and on the playback on the same tab, I input Babyface 3 and 4. Where it says MIDI I pick Babyface MIDI input and on output I pick Babyface MIDI out. In Sonar I would do the same thing. Thus the audio is set for Babyface 1+2, the playback Babyface 3+4 and also on some other tabs I have there with Windows XP SP3.

Thus in Sonar I am using to record Babyface(1+2) and with playback I am setting it Babyface(3+4) and you do not use any of the interleave channels.

So again on the Hardware Input in TotalMixFX (the top row) on the bottom of any level meter channel I pick Phones 3 and 4 or I could pick AN1 and AN2 or the other option is AS1 and AS2 which I do not use.

Check in the manual also, since it is all there and may take a few more times reading to register it all in the head. At least with me it will.

Also my computer speakers are self-powered so I don't need an amp there, but otherwise I run it to my stereo amp which is what I use and my stereo system.

If I route to AN1 and AN2 at the bottom of a RMS meter channel, then I would change everything I set in Sonar and in Control Panel playback to Babyface (1+2) instead of anything for Babyface (3+4). I think the Control room can still be set to Headphones with the Assign button, but best to check the manual.

Thanks Spacealf -- this has helped a lot! I realized that I wasn't saving to the mixes, which is obviously something quite simple...but something I might not have stumbled on for awhile yet were it not for your post.

Now a problem that has crept up has been hearing the internal clicktrack while in my "tracking" mix. The clicktrack is essentially software playback, so I can't hear that while tracking. Thoughts?

I am not sure what you are talking about, but if it is the metronome, I have either use "Audio" or use "MIDI". Since I am not really using MIDI, I use the audio in Sonar and set the decibel loudness where I want it, and there are several options there to pick out of a list. I can also check the checkbox and use it on playback, but I only use it on recording checkbox. And then I have to pick the output of what I want it to. Since for some reason I miss that or Sonar reset it without setting an output, I miss that sometimes. But essentially you use what you are using for playback I think without looking like Babyface (3+4) or if using AN1 and AN2 - Babyface (1+2).

Otherwise, I can not seem to set MIDI to Microsoft's software synth put into Windows even if I set that in Control Panel -> Sounds whatever Applet it is and set it there. In Sonar I do not have that option for some reason to set the Microsoft software synth and probably if I could, it may not make it out of the computer through the Babyface MIDI setting to click through the synth I am guessing. I really do not try and use MIDI anymore although I may someday just to see how it hooks up. Sometimes that may be better than my playing, but then for some reason I usually don't like midi sounds anyway, and can not afford to buy extra sounds and all of that. Rather have a tube pre-amp for audio like an ART Voice Channel or Presonnus Studio Channel.

And that is about all the further I have gotten with the Babyface. Like I stated I have to read the manual a few more times.

And anyway, I don't see MIDI anything in TotalMixFx, so I would have to see in the manual if anything is there.
Totally lost there!

Oh, I see it is on the Options Menu item on top and "Enable MIDI Control, and then I hear tick, tick, tick, tick even on audio so I unchecked it, since I was only playing back audio. I guess about that it will be in the manual.

Oh, and I do have in the Options -> Settings Menu for MIDI Out - Microsoft's Sofware Synth, so perhaps that is why it is clicking. In Midi have set to the Babyface, and that also can be set for Midi Out also.

Yep, setting the Options -> MIDI out to Babyface Midi out got rid of the clicking I was hearing.
Otherwise I have no idea without looking at the manual to see if hooking it up to the synth does anything except perhaps setting it in Sonar also and only using Midi there when setting the metronome to Midi instead of Audio.
I mean setting the tempo in Sonar then midi out back to the synth as the slave for midi, but on Babyface Midi in, setting the synth as Master does anything worthwhile for anything in Sonar. Have to check the manual.

Ah, that is in TotalMixFx about the Enable MIDI Control.

That may be because in Control Panel -> Sound and Audio Devices Applet I had the Microsoft Software Synth set there for MIDI output. Have not changed it to be the Babyface, so the clicking I have no idea about where that is coming from.

I mean I assume it is coming from the Microsoft Software synth when the Options -> Settings Midi out was on Microsoft software synth set in TotalMixFx, but I have no idea where the tempo click at what tempo it seems to be set at.

mmmmmmmmm............That clicking is only heard when I have TotalMixFx as the foreground window. When I make another window like Window Media Player foreground, the clicking is not heard anymore, just when TotalMixFx is the foreground window.

????