1 (edited by Grag38 2011-03-09 12:36:56)

Topic: With latency can I espext with 2 HDSPE ?

We would like to record and mix at the same time live concert with 2 hdpe cards (so from until 128 inputs at the same time).

But we need to insert external machines (tc6000, distressor, SSL).
So from, we use madi<->analog/digital converters (Lynx aurora 16 with madi card).

The question is :
What will be the best latency we can use to do it ? I mean out signal from madi and input it from madi.
Supposing using the most powerfull Apple Machine with ssd disks.

Thanks!

Re: With latency can I espext with 2 HDSPE ?

The recording can be done with the highest buffer. But with what are you going to mix? The RME mixer has no latency but I don't think that will work for doing a live mix (no eq etc).

Using the external gear if you just need to mix in the returns will be no issue (latency free in totalmix, but double the latency if you need to process the return), unless you want to process a return again in the mac.

BTW a Windows machine has better low latency performance then any mac (I love macs but it is unfortunately a fact).
SSD disks don't work 100% in a mac yet. No trim support.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

We are going to mix with Nuendo 5 with an external controler.
We will use UAD2 card for eq and compressor. But we will use process return for TC6000, distressors and SSL.

What kind of latency may I expect, with : out madi / Process Realtime / madi Return to Nuendo.

Few ms ? a lot of ms ?

The answer is simple... It depends... cool

Try it out.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I believe the UAD-2 will be the thorn in the Low-Latency performance - ESPECIALLY if you will be using the same machine and same host (Nuendo) to run it - and to "return" the signal post DA/AD for more processing in realtime (the UAD-2's delay will be doubled if I understand your setup).  You'll probably get better latency with native plug-ins w/o any sample delay - but the analog I/O inserts will add some latency as well...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

I know, but I don't have under the hand the hdspe madi card. Can someone do a loop between in and out of madi, send a signal an get a measure of the latency ?

Can we hope doing record of more than 64 tracks with a buffer of 256 samples during at least 1 hour or more ?

Thanks