Topic: The future of firewire interface

I am currently worried about the future of my Fireface 400 which uses a firewire interface.
It is obvious to me that the future of firewire is short, USB3 is responsible for that.
The truth it never worked right, on Windows it was awful and on a mac it is acceptable (with a T.I interface)
but I believe that in the future I would to use my audio interface connected to a laptop, and the number of laptops with firewire interface is dropping.
I thought about selling it and buying RME babyface, but I don't want to go backwards. Whats left is Fireface UC, Multiface and Fireface UFX

Fireface UFX is too expensive
I want to buy neither Fireface UC nor Multiface because they are quite old doesn't have Totalmix FX

Is there any new interface in that price range coming soon?

2 (edited by kaiserpathos 2011-03-10 01:08:39)

Re: The future of firewire interface

I believe Firewire is here to stay for quite awhile (I'm talking several years), in place of yes even USB 3 and Thunderbolt -- here's why I think that:

1.  If you visit Avid or Apple Logic support forums you see a lot of posts as to why USB 2's method of data transfer vs. Firewire's method creates several advantages in FW's favor when recording high track counts or high i/o (for bouncing tracks through outboard summing boxes or other analog gear).   Sure USB 3 looks good - but bear in mind many computers (even recent Macs) out there are still USB2 & FW400 -- those folks will choose FW since FW interfaces need virtually no involvement from the CPU to move data (hence less clipping and/or better ext recording drive performance) compared to USB.  Avid doesn't even support using USB drives for recording, there's a reason for that.
   (Note: I'm NOT saying USB as an interface is "inferior" to Firewire at all, just that FW 400/800's methods of moving data bend it toward high i/o counts for recording over most pre USB 3 -- especially when it comes to drive storage.  People who buy FW drives will often daisy chain up to a FW interface.)

2. FW800 is still the "non PCI Express card" big dog for high density i/o for audio interfaces over new standards like LightPeak/Thunderbolt -- why?  LP/Thunderbolt is literally so dang new/fresh that the only thing that we'll soon see early on will be ultra-fast HD storage.  Interfaces will come, yes, but in the meantime FW400/800 is probably your most popular non PCI-X way to a high-density interface.

I really like the features of the UFX -- bear in mind I'm sure once LightPeak/TBolt take off RME will be there.    But SoS just handed FF800 their 2011 Interface of the year -- no eSata or Thunderbolt technologies are even on the horizon yet.   I think FW is a market RME and others will be happy to build FW-capable gear for a Loonnnnnnng time to come.

------------------------------------------
Mac OSX 10.6.7  i7 8GB / PT & Logic 9 / RME FF800

I think third-party Thunderbolt to various current high-speed I/O standards will come crawling out of the woodwork to service the existing peripheral market. That will keep them going for a while. I will also allow us to extend the distance those peripherals can be be from the computer.

On music hiatus, so RMEs have gone to homes where others can enjoy them.

Not again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME