Topic: Signal vom Notebook internal soundcard to RME Madiface

I am working on a solution to use the Mic-In from the internal notebook soundcard as a input signal to RME Madiface (Total Mix).

I´m looking for this because in production situation sometimes I need a talkback solution via the RME Madiface/Madi-Muticore.

The cheapest and easiest way is using the Mic-In of the laptop internal soundchip and transferring the signal from the output of the laptop internal soundchip to the input of the RME Madiface soundcard. The signal quality is no object and I need a talkback not in recording situation but in between to recordings (to talk e.g. to the conductor).

Any other solution to put a analog mic signal in a madi signal is very expensive and high quality that I don´t need.

Is it possible at all using the internal notebook sound card output together with the Madiface? Maybe with some software like Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) or something like this ?

Until now I havn´t any success in working on it.

Thanks for hints!!

Peter

Re: Signal vom Notebook internal soundcard to RME Madiface

VAC may do the job. Interal in to a HDSP out, and then you can loop that back, if necessary.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

hello peter, if you have been successful, please let me know, I ´m trying with vac and asio4all, without success. the support is very meagerly.
thanks joe
I´m lookink for a small solution (3 micstasys on stage, and MBP and babyface on my side), the big equipment with RME648 and fireface800 on my side is working perfect.

The latest drivers with multi-client playback mixing make this much easier. You use a record software with monitoring (pass through), with the internal mic as input and any of the WDM (or ASIO) MADI outputs. Several simple freewares available that do that. So you don't use TotalMix. All that while your DAW is still accessing all MADI channels via ASIO (or WDM, doesn't matter).

Under Win 7 (maybe XP too, I did not check) you don't need any software to do this:

- Go to the Sound control panel, Recording, select the internal mic as Default. Then go to Properties, tab Listen. Check 'Listen to this device'. Under that setting select the output you want to use for the mic signal.

- On the next tab, Levels, you can adjust the mic gain and volume.

Now comes the really nice part: if you selected the Talkback output channel also as playback default device, to switch the mic on and off is the same as turning the windows speaker on and off (the general WDM playback).Just click on the speaker symbol in the notification area and then on 'mute' (the speaker symbol).

And yes, if you have a mute button on your notebook (most probably) that one will work too to switch the 'Talkback' signal on off!

If you assign any other output for this Talkback function then Windows will present a second fader when clicking on the loudspeaker symbol in the notification area, and you can mute that one with a single click on the speaker symbol. This will then switch the mic transmission on and off.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME