Topic: How to add compressor?

Hello,

I'm new to "mixing". I want to compress a microphone signal, but the signal is not going through the compressor (RNC1773). I thought it would be simple, going through totalmix, and it probably is!

Here's my setup: mic-->FFace(UC)-->RNC

And then:

i1 (micro)

Out5 (FFace)     -->    In   (RNC)
Out  (RNC)        -->    In 8 (FFace)

So in totalmix, I routed Out5 with In8, but nothing doing. What should I be doing instead?
Thank you very much for any advice.
ttt

Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53GHz, 2534 Mhz; 8 RAM; Fireface UC; RNC 1776 Compressor; EMU Xboard49.

Re: How to add compressor?

Hello all,
It turns out the routing was fine. I really didn't touch the "matrix" window. I didn't fiddle with the DAW either.
I kept toying in Totalmix, and I happened to raise the level for my DAW's stereo mix, and the compressor jumped into action. I then raised the level for the input channel, and the compressor jumped at once as well. Strange considering that the levels were at 0db (Well, not 0db really, as in totalmix, we're not raising volume, but signals, as I sorta understand).
Anyway, the lesson for those newbies like me who had the same problem, check your levels... Good luck everyone.

Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53GHz, 2534 Mhz; 8 RAM; Fireface UC; RNC 1776 Compressor; EMU Xboard49.

Actually, I do have some other issues.

The gain reduction LEDs are quite active, but... I'm just not 'hearing' the compression.

I'm yelling into my mic--threshold at -40, ratio at 25:1--but it just sounds... the same to me.

Also, is it normal for me to hear background noise (as though I was in a 'metallic cloud'), though this noise is not recorded in the DAW (thank goodness). It's not what I expected.

Plus, the bypass button does not work.

It's a new RNC, bought at Thomann a few months back (I wasn't able to play with the RNC right away because of unforeseen circumstances).

I finally got it to work; I don't recall how, though it was rather easy in matrix-mode, and---after diagnosing the thing:

I figured there was something peculiar about the rme-rnc-rme circuit. I decided to remove the compressor's OUT cable to the rme, and, surprise (to me) I was still hearing my stereo-mix plus me screaming in the microphone, plus, the LED activity on the compressor was still omnipresent.
Went into matrix-mode afterwards, muted one node, activated another, and presto, all is good with hardware.

Wheww! I hope this helps anyone reading this post.

By the way, hehe, the bypass button on my RNC still does not work. Oh well, I will figure this out later.

Yep, the bypass is working.
The leds are active, but the signal, as I'm seeing it, is not being compressed. (I'm still unused to the correlation: compressor leds active NOT EQUAL to signal being compressed (or at least returned to the audio-interface).
Voila.

You would be better of with a plug in compressor because in this case you are making an extra round trip through your adda.  Or you could look into another mic pre and route mic> mic pre>rnc>ffuc.

Of course this way would result in printed compression...good luck.

Lincoln Mitchell
Mac Pro 2x2.66_FFUC_PT9