Topic: A call to all core2 and UC users (especially of the santarosa era)

Im looking for some to chime in on if they can run at 64 samples playing live stably?

Its been claimed by RME that my machine is the problem as it is too old and not the UC which I have my doubts about as I know what audio sounds like when a computer cant cope and its not like the problem I have but RME sound unconvinced.

Basically it runs smoothly at 64 samples (no pops or clicks) but every so often I get a distortion spike and drop out of audio where it looses time for about a second then resumes playing, this problem does not occur at 512 samples but neither does making music at such a delay either.

I know of ppl with new machines who also cant run at 64 samples stably and it feels like a pass the buck response. IF I was convinced a new computer would be the magic bullet Id buy one tomorrow, things would also get very ugly on the forums if I did do this and it changed nothing : /

so please let me know what your experience is and what software/spec machine you have to achieve it!

reverbnation.com/ovorigin

Re: A call to all core2 and UC users (especially of the santarosa era)

ovorigin wrote:

Its been claimed by RME that my machine is the problem as it is too old

My point was that apparently your MBP does not run stable at 64 samples with the Duet, either...

There are settings between 64 and 512, aren't there? What about these?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:
ovorigin wrote:

My point was that apparently your MBP does not run stable at 64 samples with the Duet, either...

I just went to 512 to test if the problem was effected by sample size as RME asked, but for me 128 or higher has noticeable latency with headphones on and makes the UC useful only for playback and dry recording/monitoring, if this is all I wanted to do I would have had the option of LOTS of other interfaces for less money.

I bought it to use live to make my MBP an effects unit to get me OUT of the studio and bring studio production to a live environment.

RME Support wrote:
ovorigin wrote:

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

tonite I had rehearsal and I set the UC to 128 samples, the sound glitched out twice in the 4 hours we played.

So its official to me at least, the 'low latency' UC cant even run as stably as an old Duet firewire interface on the same machine.

Sure it sounds better than the Duet but having to run it at 512 is a COMPLETE JOKE for a 'pro' audio solution.

SO far the only thing pro about it is the price

Im running out of reasons to keep this thing or post on this site in the hope of a solution....  sad

... but having to run it at 512 is a COMPLETE JOKE for a 'pro' audio solution.

512 is not 512. Other interface usually using a big hidden safety buffer which adds more latency. Only a roundtrip test shows the real latency.

Anyway we have countless UC users using it with lower latencies. I can use RME USB interfaces on my iMac 27 and Macbook Pro 17 in Logic with 32 samples. What do use for a Macbook?

best regards
Knut

Admin Knut wrote:

... but having to run it at 512 is a COMPLETE JOKE for a 'pro' audio solution.

512 is not 512. Other interface usually using a big hidden safety buffer which adds more latency. Only a roundtrip test shows the real latency.

Anyway we have countless UC users using it with lower latencies. I can use RME USB interfaces on my iMac 27 and Macbook Pro 17 in Logic with 32 samples. What do use for a Macbook?

I agree that latency figures arent created equal as at 128 I could hear the delay with headphones on with my duet but with the UC I couldnt.

I currently have a 2.4 ghz core 2 (santarosa) and yes its getting old now but when others post with the same problems as me who own last years machine you can understand my reluctance to just go buy a new one, especially seeing none of RME's previous suggestions have yielded results.

I am looking into a new macbook but am trying to wait until they do one of their secret minor revisions before I do, Ive been reading a lot about how hot/noisy they get at low to moderate loads and it is a new cpu architecture.

Im quite confident this isnt going to solve the issue tho, to me the problem is a spike/some kind of interference or interruption to the UC's operation as it can run for a few days at 64 without a problem, this is rare but it has happened.

what era of mbp are you running to achieve 32 samples?

Does Logic play a part in the reduced latency when compared to something like ableton?

I agree that latency figures arent created equal as at 128 I could hear the delay with headphones on with my duet but with the UC I couldnt.

The current RME USB/FireWire technology uses very small hidden safety buffers. Others use very big hidden buffers to give the same or lower buffer settings, but these safety buffers let users compare different things and result in postings like yours about the Pro quality of RME interfaces.

Im quite confident this isnt going to solve the issue tho, to me the problem is a spike/some kind of interference or interruption to the UC's operation as it can run for a few days at 64 without a problem, this is rare but it has happened.

I think this is a sign that your notebook configuration caused the problems or is simply on the limit. The UC did not change, if it was possible to run stable with 64 it´s not to blame. Even your live setup with 128 samples and only two glitches in 4 hours is a phantastic value for an USB interface with such a small safety buffer. It would be good to look for the source of the dropouts in the Macbook configuration (console protocol?).

what era of mbp are you running to achieve 32 samples?

This is a late 2010 Macbook Pro 17 with i7 and SSD.

best regards
Knut

8 (edited by oblique strategies 2011-03-20 09:39:37)

ovorigin wrote:

to me the problem is a spike/some kind of interference or interruption to the UC's operation as it can run for a few days at 64 without a problem, this is rare but it has happened.

Take a look in the Console application- Do a search in All Messages for: IOAudioStream

Then look for an error message that contains: IOAudioStream - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position

Look in the Console immediately after a dropout/glitch & you'll probably see this error message occurring at the same time as the glitch.

I'm having the same dropout/glitch problem which are associated with these error messages.

Maybe this is helpful: from MC RME Administrator:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9758

MC wrote:

We did a global check of the current Mac performance on all our 6 Macs in the lab and did not find anything unusal. Therefore we have written a small monitoring tool for the hardware's playback FIFO, working with the Babyface and Fireface UC. A typical display for a simple iTunes playback at 44.1 kHz would be

Fireface UC test
Samples in Out FIFO:
MIN:  6
MAX: 7

At 96 kHz you would see MIN: 12 and MAX: 13

If the playback is disturbed you might see completely different values. Please check it out.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/Fi … C_Test.zip

What software?

Try to get rid of CPU Speedstep: Download the Coolbook trial and turn the CPU load slider to 9 or 10. Does it help?

Turn off Wifi and Bluetooth and plug off any USB card readers.

oblique strategies wrote:
ovorigin wrote:

to me the problem is a spike/some kind of interference or interruption to the UC's operation as it can run for a few days at 64 without a problem, this is rare but it has happened.

Take a look in the Console application- Do a search in All Messages for: IOAudioStream

Then look for an error message that contains: IOAudioStream - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position

Look in the Console immediately after a dropout/glitch & you'll probably see this error message occurring at the same time as the glitch.

I'm having the same dropout/glitch problem which are associated with these error messages.

Maybe this is helpful: from MC RME Administrator:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9758

MC wrote:

We did a global check of the current Mac performance on all our 6 Macs in the lab and did not find anything unusal. Therefore we have written a small monitoring tool for the hardware's playback FIFO, working with the Babyface and Fireface UC. A typical display for a simple iTunes playback at 44.1 kHz would be

Fireface UC test
Samples in Out FIFO:
MIN:  6
MAX: 7

At 96 kHz you would see MIN: 12 and MAX: 13

If the playback is disturbed you might see completely different values. Please check it out.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/Fi … C_Test.zip

not sure how this can help me

11 (edited by ovorigin 2011-03-20 11:29:52)

Timur wrote:

What software?

Try to get rid of CPU Speedstep: Download the Coolbook trial and turn the CPU load slider to 9 or 10. Does it help?

Turn off Wifi and Bluetooth and plug off any USB card readers.

Im using ableton

I will try this out but it makes my cpu/fans go mental which is less than ideal for audio

Yes, with the CPU running at 100% the fans turn up. But you first want to know if it makes a difference.

Ableton Live unfortunately is very prone to Speedstep on OS X.

Just to add to the info, Coolbook is not compatible with the i5/i7 Macbook pros.

So far I have not yet achieved stable results for live performance over the past year of testing with multiple audio interfaces (currently Fireface UC)  with my Macbook pro i7 17" (mid2010). It does work great for recording using direct monitoring with Totalmix because I can turn the buffer up to 512-1024 samples.

www.toddbass.com
Macbook pro i7 15" (mid 2012) 8 gigs ram, Fireface UCX

The CPU load slider of Coolbook is compatible, because all it does it produce CPU load. And because Coolbook runs at a lower process priority you can use it to keep Speedstep *mostly* from happening while Ableton Live runs at higher priority. It's a dirty trick to find out if Speedstep is a culprit.

Another thing you should try is to install XCode and use the tool for switching off CPU cores that's coming with it. Live on OS X may not like using Hyperthreading "cores", even though it can use them pretty well on Windows 7 (which its likely superior threading scheduler).

What speaks for the latter is that Live ran considerably better on my Core2Duo Macbook Pro even without me turning off Speedstep (which needs more than just running Coolbook btw), at same CPU clock.

At the moment Live on Windows with forced "Realtime" priority smokes OS X to ashes (like 22 vs. 8 tracks of the same load at same buffer settings).

15 (edited by gtodd876 2011-03-22 01:19:40)

I did install xCode and installed the processor preference pane so I could disable my 2nd CPU and hyperthreading. I still had audio glitches.

I just re-read the coolbook website and now I understand that it is just the undervolting that is not possible. I will try that out but before I do that....

I am very temped to try out windows 7 through bootcamp. What does forced realtime priority mean? Would it be easy for to share a few links to resources so I can test this out and setup my Windows 7 properly for realtime priority? It'll take a lot work since after setting this up then I'll have to emulate my Mainstage live setup within Ableton Live (and making use of different plug-ins on the PC side of things) but I am willing to try anything at this point to get stable live performance out of my macbook pro.

Thank you for the help Timur,

Todd

www.toddbass.com

16 (edited by Timur 2011-03-22 01:42:41)

There are posts from me all over this and the Gearslutz forum about this. wink

Basically (and manually) you just start Task-Manager "as Administrator" (or tell it to show *all* processes) and then right-click on the Live.exe process and change it's priority to "Realtime". Main drawback is that Live literally takes over Windows then. So if Live overloads or freezes it stalls Windows, too.

I am currently working on getting all of my "articles" and concept work on a crash-stable live plugin host together in one place at http://lautlab.com. This is in its very early stages though, first I have to get the design/layout done before I can publish anything.

Concerning Coolbook: Unfortunately it's not just the "undervolting" but any control over clock-rates (!) and voltages that's not working with the i5/i7.

Alright, alright, I guess I'll start digging smile I just know when I used to use windows xp, probably at least 6 years ago, I used to tweak the hell out of it and I figure I should gather all the data before I uninstall and reinstall my win7 license on my macbook pro.

Wish me luck.

www.toddbass.com

No need to dig, just do the manual Task-Manager thing and you are good to go. *But* you will also need to get the Nvidia driver to behave, else it will cause dropouts (search for nvidia and my name on the RME forum). wink

Bad luck already sad Boot camp won't allow me to partition the drive. It says files can't be moved and that I need to back-up the drive, reformat it extended and journaled (It is already) , reload the data onto the drive, and then try again. This is could be an all-nighter smile

www.toddbass.com

Status Update:
I was able to get Bootcamp to partition by erasing the disk and restoring from a Time Machine backup.

Created a 20gig partition for Windows 7.

I inserted my Windows 7 64 dvd when prompted and continued with the installation. Mac restarted and now I have the white start-up screen but the apple in the center is blinking, alternating with with a picture of a circle with a line through it. Never seen this before.

Guess I'll restart the computer and try it all over again.

www.toddbass.com

So after more testing Boot camp assistant will NOT create a partition that can be seen when the computer is restarted to install Windows. Seems it is not creating a proper partition because the circle with the diagonal line through it supposed to me there is a file or folder missing that keeps it from booting. Could this be because I am using an external DVD drive? I installed a second SSD in my macbook pro awhile back in place of the dvd drive. I guess I will switch them back out now to see if there is any difference.

Man, I hope thee is a pot of gold at the end of this tunnel smile

www.toddbass.com

Update:
Putting the dvd drive back in the macbook pro solved that problem and windows began install.

This next issue I ran into was that the partition that Bootcamp created for windows did not properly format the partition so I had to reformat it again within the windows installer. So far in this experience, Apple's bootcamp software is a worthless POS.

www.toddbass.com

I've got Ableton setup, and all my plug-ins.

I've switched the graphics driver to standard vga, diabled ACPI battery driver, disabled wlan driver

I set Ableton to realtime priority.

One thing I'm not clear on though is do you still need to kill bootcamp.exe for low latency audio?

www.toddbass.com

Nope, Bootcamp 3.x with the BOOTCAMP.EXE fixes the old issues that KBDMGR.EXE had. BOOTCAMP.EXE still uses CPU cycles though, so if you don't use it anyway (see below) you can kill it.

You should not use the special keys for brightness etc. while doing audio work. That is because it still can cause dropouts (partly an issue of the NVidia driver though). You *can* change brightness via the slider offered by the BOOTCAMP.EXE tray-icon though and speaker volume via the Windows tray-icon control.

25 (edited by gtodd876 2011-03-22 20:43:11)

I just got done rehearsing my set at 64 samples with the Fireface UC with no audio glitches!!! I'm using dummies clips in Live to emulate effects patch changes that I was using in Mainstage. So far it's a pretty close setup to exactly what I was doing on the Apple side of the fence. I hope I'm not jinxing myself talking about it. If this low latency performance continues I will cry tears of joy.

Thanks so much for all these tips Timur, especially the Live/PC suggestion!

-Todd

www.toddbass.com

Some things of note here:

- Only use "Realtime" priority if you need to! If it works without, don't use it!

- On Core2Duos you can (mostly) turn off Speedstep via Coolbook's full version on OS X. It's not expensive and worth the money when using Ableton Live. To completely turn off Speedstep you need to delete the KEXT that is responsible for Speedstep and have Coolbook take over dynamic clocking completely.

- NVidia claims to be working on a driver that should solve the Windows audio dropouts issues. I know it is possible because an older Nvidia Quadro driver available via Microsoft (and modified to install on Macbooks) solves all these issues.

On Core2Duos with 9600M GT you can search and download "PowerMizer Manager" and simply fix the GPU to Medium or High Performance 3D mode. That will also solve the NVidia issues.

- On Windows Vista/7 download the following power-profile from Presonus. It will *completely* disable Speedstep (and Core Parking on i5/i7). If you are using a Firewire RME interface you need to make a change to the profile though: Turn OFF "PCI Express" power-saving via the extended settings of the profile.

http://presonus.zendesk.com/entries/203 … studio-one

Ok, I'll it set to Normal priority to see how it fares.

I'm downloading the power profile now. It looks great as a way to disable speedstepping and turbo boost since when don't have bios options to tinker with on our bootcamped macs.

www.toddbass.com

It's likely that the power-profile wont work on pre 2010 Macbooks. That is because Apple disabled the corresponding BIOS setting (and enabled it in the 2010 ones).

If you want to control CPU clock-rates and Turbo-Mode while the special profile is active, download Throttlestop:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho … p?t=227689

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardwar … guide.html

I'm a little confused now on the state of the 2010 macbook pros i7's. The new MBP 2011's are actually quad core i7 but I have the 2010 i7 which is only dual core. Does that mean it's a dual core, has the 'features' of a quad core i7 with the speed-stepping, turbo-mode, etc. , but is not a core2duo?

My Nvidia chip is the GT 330M so I guess I'll just wait and hope they come out with better drivers. The standard vga is not so bad at 1280x1024 resolution.

For anybody that tries the Power profile from Presonus: Make sure to extract the files first before running the script or the profile won't show up under Power Options.

www.toddbass.com

30 (edited by Timur 2011-03-23 14:26:05)

Yes, your 2010 MBP i7 has the features of every i7: Speedstep, Core Parking, Turbo Mode (overclocks both cores, if Core Parking turns off 1 core it overclock the remaining 1 core even more) and Hyperthreading.

It is not a Core2Duo. Ableton Live worked better on the Core2Duo on OS X. No idea what is giving Live a hard time on the 2010 MBP, maybe Hyperthreading, maybe Core Parking, maybe the 330M GT driver.

If it helps, Im currently running Ableton Live as a send FX processor for a DJM-800 via either a NI Audio 8 DJ or my RME UFX. The UFX has the obvious benefit I can run it much lower latency.

I recently took the plunge and bought the new 2011 MBP17 with 2.3Ghz CPU and immediately noticed that Ableton Live 8 seems to like it rather more than the original i7 thats in my PC. Now part of this cold be that Live (and most of my plugins) simply runs better on OSX 1.6.x than Win7/64, however I doubt that the OS is significant as most processing goes on in DSP code of plugins. Anyway, my new MBP is very respectably holding its own vs a bloomfield i7/930 that has been overclocked to allways run at 4GHz and the PC machine has 1600Mhz memory vs the 1333Mhz memory in the new MBP.

Being a bit puzzled by all this (ie wondering if there was something wrong with my PC) I end up running geekbench on both systems and confirmed that the floating point performance of the 2.3Ghz sandy bridge is in fact noticeably better then my overclocked bloomfield quad core i7.

Certainly everything I have seen so far with this new MBP suggest that these new processors are significantly better for audio processing compared to the previous dual i7 core MBPs.

Yes - the thing gets hot (fans will rev up when running a project with alot of tracks, but thats to be expected when overall CPU use as measured in activity monitor is at 70% or so), no it doesnt freeze or do anything horrible, in fact I have never know ableton Live 8 work as reliably as it has since we have been using the MBP. It also seems to be able to run a 64 track version of the live performance test project at 64 samples (most computers would struggle to run that at any latency) - just left it running for about 30 minutes and all the times we turned it up to check it out - was glitch free.

Nothing special done with the MBP - airport was still active, project running of an external FW800 drive, an external monitor connected (which forces the descrete GPU to be used, which Live also seems to like - gaining about 4-5% cpu uses reduction when the descrete GPU is active).

I dont have a RME UC, instead I have an RME UFX connected to my PC via firewire and to my MBP via USB2 (so I would guess its similar) - if its helpful, happy to run some specific perf tests for you - Have Logic 9, Cubase 6 and Live 8 suite available.

32 (edited by Timur 2011-04-09 08:19:13)

Since your Live 8 performance is *so* much better than mine either the old i7 are *a lot* worse with their power-saving (Sandy bridge got several improvements afaik) or indeed the Nvidia GPU is an issue, too (using the Intel is worse though).

I'm gonna repeat the test with some Firefaces, maybe the ExpressCard performs worse on OS X (I don't have much trust on Apple EC implementation).

Which express card are you using and if for HDs which HDs?

I have had a few wierd issues with an OWC slim and my 750GB WD scorpio black drive when I was cloning the internal drive (over 400GB of files - Ugh!). Had to use a different esata (sonnet tempo, but cant boot from that) card to do the clone. Anyway - finally got it cloned and installed and got windows 7/64 up and running on the MBP at last - have to say - I dont think Ive seem win7 happier and/or cleaner on a laptop - by far the least OEM junk driver ridden laptop Ive ever installed to get the full hardware functionality available.

The external FW800 I use is nothing special performance wise - just a 640GB WD Passport (one with the LCD on it), so wont aid my performance tests above - wouldnt anyway as the audio files the test project uses are tiny anyway.

I think the perf difference is entirely down to having 4 real FP cores and each core having hugely improved FP performance and a larger cache on this CPU, maybe better memory perf as well.

using coolbook to disable speedstep didnt stop my audio glitches!

Hearing that the core2's run ableton better is a bit of a worry to me considering my issues.

Knowing how hot and noisy the 2011 mbp's get has put me off buying one for the moment even though Its time for an upgrade as my santarosa is showing its age in more than a few ways.

the idea of having to go to windows for stable live music performance simply makes me feel sick!

From what little I know about Linux Im starting to think that should be the platform for rock solid Live music performance as it is often used for 'mission critical' tasks and can be tailored to be lean and only have what you need to run the software being used, pity ableton doesnt run on it especially after I read there are RME drivers for Linux.

It would be good to look for the source of the dropouts in the Macbook configuration (console protocol?).

sorry, i missed this question, can u explain how I do this?

Khazul wrote:

Nothing special done with the MBP - airport was still active, project running of an external FW800 drive, an external monitor connected (which forces the descrete GPU to be used, which Live also seems to like - gaining about 4-5% cpu uses reduction when the descrete GPU is active).

Question:
are you running an external monitor in addition to the laptop screen (i.e., two screens at the same time), or running an external monitor instead of the laptop screen (i.e., only the external monitor)?

oblique strategies wrote:
Khazul wrote:

Question:
are you running an external monitor in addition to the laptop screen (i.e., two screens at the same time), or running an external monitor instead of the laptop screen (i.e., only the external monitor)?

Using both screens.

Thanks. I've used both screens & only the external at different times. I'll use both & see if it improves things for me like it did for you.

39 (edited by gtodd876 2011-04-09 22:55:22)

I will test that out as well. That would be an easy fix to our audio glitches but I bet that it's too good to be true. I had already tried turning off Automatic graphics switches in Systems Prefs.

www.toddbass.com

Sometimes I use the two monitors at the same time, & sometimes I just use the big external. I have not paid close attention to what configuration I'm using when I experience the dreaded drop outs, but now I'm going to log that info in my problem log.

While not expecting this to fix the drop outs (& even if it does that won't help in a performance when I only have the laptop) it's nice to have tips on improving the Ableton Live/Fireface UC/MBP experience.

Out of curiosity what is your goal buffer size? 128 samples? That's what I've setting as my limit because I don't like playing with a delay higher than that.

www.toddbass.com

Two screens doesnt improve anything. Its the use of the descrete GPU that causes the small improvement (4-5% on my specific 2011 MBP 17) overall application performance if the applications does quite a bit of real time UI redrawing - ie like a DAW and its meters, knobs, timeline etc.

Some applications do seem to actively force OSX to switch to the descrete GPU if available - Ableton Live happens to be one of them - ie it will switch regardless of whether an external monitor is connected to the display port. Of course the assumtpion is that the OSX UI will perform better with the descrete GPU for the application compared to the embedded intel GPU if its available on the specific macbook pro model.

The resulting application performance difference however is unlikely to make any difference to audio performance - Im guessing that audio get handled at a much higher priority in most DAWs than UI updating and a well written DAW application will just handle the UI refresh after a longer time when the machine is stressed.

If you are getting glitches, then something is preventing the driver from servicing an interrupt in time, or overall machine CPU use too high, or audio threads response time of the application (which ends up being depending on plugin CPU load as well) is too high for the chosen latency etc for some reason - might be hard disc access is too slow for the amount of audio data being processed by the audio application for eg.

43 (edited by gtodd876 2011-04-10 01:38:21)

Thanks for sharing the info. What crazy is when I started getting the strange sounding audio glitches with the IOStream errors my CPU in Mainstage would show 30% as the highest ever.  Yet I would still get these buffer errors. Maybe the Mainstage meter isn't accurate. Although, I have had it happens the first time hit play to record in Ableton Live for only a couple tracks of playback. We are talking next to no CPU usage in this instance.

I'm using the same plugs now for my live setup in Win7 bootcamped and I'm not getting them. I'm using the same hardware so I think it has to be some type of background process or something that happens at rare intervals in OSX to interrupt the audio. If it was my cpu and the plug-ins I'm using then I should get the same errors in Win7 and I don't. 

With this new setup and setlist I got my first show on Wednesday. I feel so much better that I at least have a workaround with windows for now.

www.toddbass.com

44 (edited by ovorigin 2011-04-10 02:00:00)

@gtodd

been listening to your stuff online, really like it (the 2nd Bjork track especially), I wish we lived in the same city as your just the kind of bass player Im looking for smile

You use mainstage for looping dont u?

It looks like u have individual control of loops? eg. u can turn them off and on or effect them 1 at a time?

Khazul wrote:

Two screens doesnt improve anything. Its the use of the descrete GPU that causes the small improvement (4-5% on my specific 2011 MBP 17) overall application performance if the applications does quite a bit of real time UI redrawing - ie like a DAW and its meters, knobs, timeline etc.

Some applications do seem to actively force OSX to switch to the descrete GPU if available - Ableton Live happens to be one of them - ie it will switch regardless of whether an external monitor is connected to the display port. Of course the assumtpion is that the OSX UI will perform better with the descrete GPU for the application compared to the embedded intel GPU if its available on the specific macbook pro model.

So, just using Live with OS X results in the use of the discreet GPU & the small improvement?

Khazul wrote:

The resulting application performance difference however is unlikely to make any difference to audio performance - Im guessing that audio get handled at a much higher priority in most DAWs than UI updating and a well written DAW application will just handle the UI refresh after a longer time when the machine is stressed.

This is exactly what Lives does: the GUI slows way down as the app is stressed.

Khazul wrote:

If you are getting glitches, then something is preventing the driver from servicing an interrupt in time, or overall machine CPU use too high, or audio threads response time of the application (which ends up being depending on plugin CPU load as well) is too high for the chosen latency etc for some reason - might be hard disc access is too slow for the amount of audio data being processed by the audio application for eg.

Question:

What info can you share about the following Console error message?
IOAudioStream - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position

These occur whenever a dropout happens. And, to clarify, the problem I have is that I am getting ONE highly noticeable dropout per session, rather than multiple glitches.

Thanks

46 (edited by gtodd876 2011-04-10 02:14:35)

Thanks Ovorgin. I was using Mainstage but I had to stop because I didn't want to risk runing the ears of my audience from this crazy sounding audio glitch that I'm dealing with. I'm using the same plug-ins with Ableton as my host now since I'm getting much better performance with Windows. The looping is done with the Mobius or Sooperlooper plug-in. Mainstage or Ableton is the host to the virtual effects rack and looper plug-in.

www.toddbass.com

gtodd876 wrote:

Thanks Ovorgin. I was using Mainstage but I had to stop because I didn't want to risk runing the ears of my audience from this crazy sounding audio glitch that I'm dealing with. I'm using the same plug-ins with Ableton as my host now since I'm getting much better performance with Windows. The looping is done with the Mobius or Sooperlooper plug-in. Mainstage or Ableton is the host to the virtual effects rack and looper plug-in.

Hmm, I tried sooperlooper within ableton but it just didnt seem to quite work for me, it wasnt keen on understanding my midi messages and I wondered how well it was going to sync with my loops in ableton even if it did, the forum for it is all but totally dead too. Im interested in finding something better than abletons looper though as it just bounces the layers together so you can only undo the last step which is so lame.

so are you able to run at 64 samples in win7 stably?

is the round trip time longer than within OSX?

48 (edited by Timur 2011-04-10 10:54:26)

Using two screens on Windows is different to OS X. On Windows you not only use the discrete graphic (always anyway) but the second screen will turn the Gpu clock to maximum performance. Nvidia claims that this is a hardware restriction.

But it does not happen on OS X which either means Nvidia is lying or it's a bug.

Btw, Live is one Daw application where the balance between GUI drawing and audio/midi processing does not seem to work that well.

Using the discrete Gpu indeed helps performance somewhat (and Live runs worse if you manually enforce the Intel graphics).

@oblique strategies:

Does this happen immediately after powering on/starting the application, or only after a few minutes? I am wondering if perhaps your machine is getting too hot in OSX. In theory on a macbook pro the EFI (apple equivalent of BIOS) takes care of active cooling management regardles of the OS, but I have noticed that cooling management under windows 7/64 seems a better and I think apple have a tendency to be a little too relaxed about when they crank the fans up to deal with CPU temperature rises due to load, or it could be the way that OSX tends to micro-manage power use that simply confuses things slightly whereas windows might micromange the power use a bit less.

I would suggest you try an SMC and NVRAM reset (search apple support for the proceedure for your specific macbook pro - probably same procedure as mine, but cant remember it off hand). How old is you machine? Is it likely the fans and intakes are getting dusty? If it has been used on stage and in clubs alot, then consider that smoke machines and hazers etc tend to leave a slightly sticky residue on everything which tends to trap dust in the air significantly reducing the effectiveness of fans and heatsinks etc.

Just a thought...

Timur wrote:

Btw, Live is one Daw application where the balance between GUI drawing and audio/midi processing does not seem to work that well.

Unload high load, my experience is Live seems to be one of the better applications at preserving UI responsiveness and accuracy - Logic pro 9 for eg gets really horrible to the point that trying to edit an EQ curve with the mouse is nearly impossible with any acuracy - have to use a control surface to do it.

This is a general thing I have noticed moving between OSX and Windows 7 - Windows 7 just seems more responsive in a DAW, and pointer accuracy / mouse acceleration response just seems alot better - a bit ironic considering these are the kind of things Apple like to claim a lead in smile

Another funny thing, the magic mouse was really horrible to use - often dropping out, poor responsiveness until it paired with windows 7, since then its been way way better under both OSs. I was allmost going to give up with it and get another mouse, buts fine now.

In Apple's favour, I also see that Live can cleanly handle a higher audio load under OSX than under windows - at least on the 2011 MBP that I have.