1 (edited by kasaudio 2011-03-19 22:41:56)

Topic: FireFace series test program

After reading lot of posts from RME users having problems with their interfaces with different software, I decided to create a simple test program specially for RME FireFace series interfaces using ASIO audio I/O.

Basic idea was to create a program with minimal settings required to run. Program graphicaly displays input and output channel levels, provides simple playback, recording and sine generator functionality. Asio is treated in the simplest way. At first device is discovered and then its properties are collected. When user cliks "start" menu button, asio streaming starts and is not interrupted in any way. In other words; if this program does not run flawlessly on your computer, it is difficult to expect other programs will properly run with RME FireFace series audio interfaces using ASIO.

Program runs with 32 and 64 bit windows operating systems (XP, Vista and 7). Separate 32 and 64 bit installers are provided.

Program is single threaded. Kernel is writen with c# programming language, asio wrapper is written in c++. Therefore .net runtime is required for this program to run.

Download link for 32 bit windows:

Installer 32 bit

Download link for 64 bit windows:

Installer 64 bit

To download only user manual use the following link:

FireFace test Manual

Hope program will help users to focus difficulties with their audio interfaces and help sharing them on this forum.

regards, kasaudio

Re: FireFace series test program

Thanks kasaudio, nice idea and program! Much appreciated!

Trying this on a W7 32 machine with FF 400 I immediately stumbled over an operation probem, until I found out that whatever you want to do you have to Start the ASIO engine via the menu first. Instead I opened player - not work. Sine generator - has big Start button but nothing happens. If you do it this way the whole program gets screwed up, because when you 'Start' later from the menu the sine can not be turned off anymore, only by exiting the program. Or in other words: at this time you can not work/set something offline.

Give it some more polishing and the people will love it, as it can already now be used for more than just testing the hardware!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Tnx for your reply, will fix/change "offline" behaviour and also the way program attracts the user to press "Start" menu button and starts asio engine.

Fixed. Updated installers available in the first post.

5 (edited by kasaudio 2011-03-19 23:21:02)

While developing this program I noticed one thing I have to ask about. If you look at the picture below, you will notice very tiny signal present on ADAT1 and ADAT2 inputs.

[img align=C]http://s4.mojalbum.com/audio-foto_17376454_17428820_18588515.jpg[/img]

FireFace test displays -170.33dB avg and -169.74dB peak for ADAT1 and -154.17dB avg and -154.17dB peak for ADAT2. Values for ADAT1 slightly oscilate, values for ADAT2 are constant. There is nothing connected on digital inputs. Those values are below 24 bit resolution. Is there any particular reason for them not being -inf dB like on other digital channels?

That is the same for both FF800 units I own. SR = 48kHz, BS = 96

regards, kasaudio

Very nicely working now!

Regarding the levels - open optical inputs? Try to close them. Or compare with DIGICheck...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by kasaudio 2011-03-20 22:29:33)

Hm, ADAT1 ports on both units are not closed with caps as I lost them. Right now I can't check with DIGICheck as I have left both units in the office. Will do that ASAP. On the ADAT 2 there is constant DC offset of value 42. Full scale is -2147483648 to 2147483647 and that is -154.17dB. What is the lowest dB value DIGICheck displays as not being -inf? In case of FireFace series test, it is fixed to -200dB.

regards, kasaudio

8 (edited by kasaudio 2011-03-20 14:26:08)

Checked with caps on ADAT1 inputs. It makes no difference. Tried to check with DIGICheck also, but the lowest value DIGICheck sees is -140dB. I do not want to bug around this... those values are far below 24-bit resolution. But if speaking of word "digital" there should be zero if nothing connected. This is true for all other digital inputs.

I also noticed, input sample values do not have granularity of 256 (24 bit resolution as 32 bit signed integer). Is that a result of internal oversampling?

I tested other soundcards and found granularity of 256 for 24 bits and 65536 for 16 bits.

Another question: does UFX also have "ASIO Fireface" for the driver name? If yes, than FireFace test should run with UFX also.

Changed this program to work now with all RME interfaces. Therefore it's name changed from "FireFace Test" to "RME Asio Test Tool". Also fixed some bugs and documentation. In order to not "trash" this forum I will delete this topic in a few days.

As it was not possible to start new topic in "Tips & Tricks section" I will start new topic in this section.

regards, kasaudio

Nice one! smile

kasaudio wrote:

As it was not possible to start new topic in "Tips & Tricks section" I will start new topic
in this section.

Not a problem - I can move the topic there...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

If not a problem, please move this topic:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10745

to "Tips & Tricks section"

regards, kasaudio