Topic: Babyface - How to do a reamp?

Hello everyone,

I use PT9 and a Babyface.

I need to reamp a guitar take.
I used the phones output into my preamp and then back to the babyface,
but couldn't get nothing but a huge feedback.

Would someone let me know how to do this?

Thanxx

Re: Babyface - How to do a reamp?

Seems like the routing inside TotalMix sends your output and input signal to the headphone out and creates a feedback loop. It´s the same like with any other mixer. Take care not to send/mix the signal from your preamp via the Babyface inputs to the output again. In TotalMix click on the headphone output and move all faders except the one with your guitar playback signal (2nd row) down to inf. All faders in the first row have to be all the way down! Esp. analog 1/2 with the reamped signal.

Check the mixer of your DAW for the same problem. Don´t route the preamp signal to the playback/bus channel which plays the source - unreamped - guitar take. 

best regards
Knut

Re: Babyface - How to do a reamp?

edu442 wrote:

Would someone let me know how to do this?

A passive stand alone DI box can also be used as a re-amping device. CAUTION: Do not try this with an active (battery or AC powered) DI box because you will damage your equipment or worse.

A passive DI box is designed to transform a high impedance guitar signal to a low impedance mic level signal. This signal level transformation allows you to respect the laws of physics when connecting a guitar to a mixer mic input. You can therefore creatively use a passive DI box as a re-amp device by reversing the direction of signal flow through the DI box after it leaves your audio interface (or mixer) and before it reaches your guitar amp. Connect a Babyface analog output to the DI "Balanced Output" XLR and then connect the DI "Guitar Input" to the guitar amp input. The signal of the previously recorded low impedance guitar track will now be transformed back to high impedance before it reaches the input of your guitar amp. You may need to make or buy another cable but this creative use of a passive DI box will work as an affordable alternative to buying a re-amping device. Happy re-amping

best regards,
Blair Francey
Fireface 802/ARC USB; HDSP Multiface x 2; 2023 AMD Windows 10 Custom PC