1 (edited by kelane 2011-03-22 13:16:48)

Topic: no instrument input sound in cubase 6 artist

hi

i'm using a rme fireface 800 with cubase 6 artist and windows 7

i can get the midi sounds to function in cubase and the mp3 player plays audio nicely, but cubase is dead when it comes to getting ANY sound from my guitar

i already called the steinberg customer support and we checked the settings should be ok in cubase; they suggested the problem may lie in the drivers or is related to my audio interface

so i tried to update my drivers

1st i updated my firmware as suggested and followed all the instructions in the fireface manual but the drivers won't update - it just shows the old driver version even after restart and now i went to the device manager and decided to remove the driver completely to just install the latest driver version and start from a clean table, but now the whole device disappeared from the device manager and i don't know how to install it again cuz you can't do it the same way now as the manual says

i already phoned the customer support but no one's answering and i'm starting to get pretty pissed off

basically NOTHING has worked with this audio interface the way it should've - the first fireface they shipped me was a dud so i had to get another one shipped to me which took two weeks - according to the manual or rme website and i'm no computer expert nor should i have to be to operate an audio interface as it says in the manual - i only want to record my music without any bullshit hassle

so what do i do now?

PS. sorry for the cussing but i'm getting pretty frustrated

Re: no instrument input sound in cubase 6 artist

kelane wrote:

so i tried to update my drivers
1st i updated my firmware as suggested and followed all the instructions in the fireface manual but the drivers won't update - it just shows the old driver version even after restart and now i went to the device manager and decided to remove the driver completely to just install the latest driver version and start from a clean table,

How did you try to update the driver? The fut does not do so. Also, don't forget to switch off and on after running the fut.

but now the whole soundcard disappeared from the device manager which means i'd have to install it from the CD AGAIN which means it's the OLD fucking driver again

No, you don't need the CD. You can install the latest driver from the website.

i already phoned the customer support but no one's answering and i'm starting to get pretty pissed off

Who did you phone and when?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by kelane 2011-03-22 17:29:21)

RME Support wrote:

How did you try to update the driver? The fut does not do so. Also, don't forget to switch off and on after running the fut.

i know the fut only updates the firmware driver

yes, i switched it on and off
first i dloaded the firmware driver, then i ran it,
then i dloaded the driver from the rme website, updated the driver as described on the manual p. 17 section 10.2 'driver update'

after the update i restarted the comp and ran fireface settings and clicked 'about' and it still showed the older version
then i removed the whole driver
restarted
as windows launched it strangely started automatically a driver update (?), i checked the driver version again and it showed the older one

still no guitar input sound in cubase nor the fireface mixer, no response whatsoever from the guitar input except from the fireface front panel signal light which responds to my playing

Who did you phone and when?
Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

the finnish guy around 15pm, i think and later around 18pm - i can't remember his name

i'm from finland

kelane wrote:

then i dloaded the driver

Which driver?

kelane wrote:

from the rme website, updated the driver as described on the manual p. 17 section 10.2 'driver update'

You either downloaded the wrong or old driver, or missed the 'Have Disk' step in the description. Otherwise the update would have worked. 100%.

kelane wrote:

after the update i restarted the comp and ran fireface settings and clicked 'about' and it still showed the older version

Which version did you expect to see?

kelane wrote:

then i removed the whole driver restarted as windows launched it strangely started automatically a driver update (?)

That is normal Windows behaviour.

kelane wrote:

still no guitar input sound in cubase nor the fireface mixer

Because you did not switch the front channel to be active. In the Settings dialog.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You either downloaded the wrong or old driver, or missed the 'Have Disk' step in the description. Otherwise the update would have worked. 100%.

i dloaded this one:
"Windows 7 32/64 PnP driver for Fireface 400 / 800 / UFX, version 3.034. Requires the latest firmware version! 12/17/2010"

i follow the instructions absolutely to the letter
after the driver install it says the driver is the most current and up-to-date

MC wrote:

Which version did you expect to see?

version 3.034

however fireface settings says it's 3.033 from 3.12.2010

MC wrote:

Because you did not switch the front channel to be active. In the Settings dialog.

yeah, that was it and now it works, thank you.

that leaves me with the driver upgrade problem still...

If you follow it 'to the letter' you can install any driver, even older ones, without any comment from Windows. The mesaage that you quote shows up when you don't use the lower options and the Have Disk step.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME