Topic: using babyface with outboard compressor

Hi

I just bought the Babyface, assuming that with "4 analogue outs, and 2 analogue ins" it would support my one and only piece of outboard gear (SSL G-Series Compressor). However, I didn't realise that analogue 3/4 are for headphones.

So I know that I can use my compressor if I buy a D/A convertor, and use the optical output for sending to the compressor. But I'd rather not do that since I just spent a load of money.

Is there anyway to use analogue outboard gear with the babyface as it is? I'm guessing it's not a good idea to use the headphone outs going to the compressor, but I can't see any other option.

Thanks for your help!
Steve

Re: using babyface with outboard compressor

There is no reason why you should not use the phones out (same tech specs as the other outputs) except for a phones being connected.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ok great! Someone mentioned that I may have impedance issues driving my monitors (KRK VXT8's) with the phones out, but you reckon that will be fine?

Higher Impedance Inputs are generally not an issue with regard to negative effects on a low-z output stage (the inverse is where you will generally run into issues and current limiting, etc).  The only possible drawback is the HP outs are obviously unbalanced, and will need a TRS - to - 2x TS "Insert" type cable to break out the L/R channels to the individual stereo inputs on the monitors.

Swapping the Monitors to the HP Outs and using the 1/2 balanced outs for your SSL sounds like a good compromise to me :-)  You can try it both ways, but I doubt you'll hear any appreciable difference.

PS - Nice rig!

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8