1 (edited by lapieuvre 2011-03-28 11:41:26)

Topic: Latency is very high - FF800 and Sonar

Specs:

Intel Q9550
win 7 pro x64
4 gigs RAM
Fireface 800
Sonar 8.5.3 and Sonar X1
Latency between 96 to 128 samples
Driver 3.034 firmware 2.77

As soon as I load a couple of plugins (Kontakt 4, ez drummer)
I get a latency so high that I can't record any midi notes. 

I am using the FF800's midi interface.

I've had this problem for a 1 1/2 years now, posted on the cakewalk website and tried every solutions suggested:

Once the latency gets high, even if I deactivate all the plugins the latency stays high.
I changed the midi interface, fixed the problem for one session.  Next day latency came back.
Scanned for viruses, fixed the problem for one session, next day came back.
migrated from Win XP to win 7.  Fixed the problem for a couple of days, but latency came back.
Switched from Sonar 8 to 8.5 to X1 they all have the latency problem.
I don't put any effect when I do MIDI recording, just VST's.

Am I the only one with this problem?

I am wondering what are the best settings on the Fireface for best results in performance.

Thanks.

MBP M1 Max, 64 Gigs RAM, IOS Ventura
ADI-8 QS and UAD Apollo Twin Thunderbolt

Re: Latency is very high - FF800 and Sonar

Is it Midi latency or audio latency?

Audio latency from the VST's.  I don't use the MIDI out port.  I play a note, I hear the sound a good 50ms later

MBP M1 Max, 64 Gigs RAM, IOS Ventura
ADI-8 QS and UAD Apollo Twin Thunderbolt

4 (edited by Timur 2011-03-29 10:41:15)

But you play/enter the note via Midi? What happens when you enter the note via piano roll (mouse click) and have Sonar playback the note, or when you use a VST with a virtual keyboard via mouse/computer keyboard?

Are you sure that none of your plugins comes with its own high latency buffer? As soon as *one* plugin has high latency Sonar has to shift *all* plugins accordingly (to make them all play in time) when delay/latency compensation is active.