1 (edited by arkham00 2011-04-01 14:20:08)

Topic: Basic questions about TotalMix FX - Differents outputs volumes

Hi, I had my babyface a month ago and I'm very well impressed by the soundcard as I'm not well impressed by the user manual ... it lacks examples and details.

Anyway, I hope I can get my answers here.

First of all, what is the purpose of the main input ? It is not a master channel per se, is one of the output of the cards, so what does it means ? I can't really figure it out, what is the benefit and the difference of having PH 3/4 or AN 1/2 as MAIN ?

Second, I try to guess that the output on the side is PH 3/4, the jack output on the breakout cable is AN 1/2, so I suppose that the XLR outputs are AS 1/2 ? But what AS 1/2 stands for ????
Why there isn't a clear input and output graphic on the manual ?

The most important question is, how can I separate the outputs ?
It seems that AN1/2 and PH3/4 are linked together.

Let's take this simple configuration :

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/269/matrix1w.jpg

Here I have the reaper playback channel assigned to AN 1/2 where I plug my monitors, and to PH3/4 where I plug my headphones, and my main is AS 1/2 (strange how there is no routing to the main and I still have sound ....)
Anyway, if i move the fader of the PH 3/4 the output level changes in both my monitors and my headphone, but if I try to move the AN1/2 fader nothing happens ...The vu-meter moves but not the sound!
And the same is for the EQ .... the PH 3/4 EQ modifies both the sound from the side jack and the sound from the breakout jack ...

Am I missing something ?
Maybe I misunderstand the output correspondences and maybe the AN1/2 is the XLR, that I can't try at the moment ...and so the two jacks are really linked together ....

But the problem is that at the page 7 of the manual is stated :
The rotary encoder is used to change the varius parameters directly at the unit. First the select key is used to select the mode which is then displayed by the status led :

input : ...

Output : Setting the output level of the analog outputs 1/2 at the breakout cable. (which one, the jack or the XLR ?????)

Phones : Setting the output levels of the analog outputs 3/4 (false! if I lower the rotary encoder both the jacks volumes goes down ... so it's not only PH 3/4 ....)

Actually I was planning to use the babyface to play some music during a theater play, where people sing on stage, I was planning to use one output for the main monitors, one for a stage monitor and one for the headphone for me ... but if can't adjust the volumes separately, it is completely pointless ....

I hope my problem is clear, and that someone could help me .... it is very frustrating to have an expensive product and don't know how to use it correctly ....

Thank you

Re: Basic questions about TotalMix FX - Differents outputs volumes

There is enough information which clearly tells that:

- the unit does not have a coaxial SPDIF I/O

- the optical I/O can be ADAT or SPDIF. If switched to SPDIF ADAT channels 1/2 are used in the mixer, hence the name AS (ADAT-SPDIF)

- the jack at the breakout is 3/4, the XLRs are 1/2

The problem that you have with mixing might be from outdated drivers or a not correctly initialized TotalMix FX. You use which versions and which firmware? Please also provide a screenshot of the mixer view.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you Matthias.

So If I understand correctly, the side jack and the breakout jack are the same channel ? 3/4 ? So they are both controlled by the rotary encoder phones function on the sound card, is that correct ? There is no way to have independents settings for the two jacks.
So I think that what I described before is not a fixable problem, it is normal that when I move the PH 3/4 fader both the headphones and the monitors volumes change.
I will have the chance to try the XLR output this Sunday I'll let you know if it behaves independently from the jack output.

Anyway, I'm running Totalmix FX v. 0.924
The firmware version is the 176.

Can you explain me the principle of the MAIN ? I can't really understand it
At the moment I only use XLR and jacks, so what do I have to set as MAIN ? Which benefit from doing this ?

For instance, what is the difference between routing a playback channel directly on 3/4 (having it or not as the main)

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/7209/mixer1g.jpg

or routing it on 1/2 and then click on the CUE button (having 3/4 as the main) ? I always have the sound coming from my headphones, and that's ok i suppose, but what is the trick behind ?

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5724/mixer2v.jpg

One last question, if I close Totalmix, how can I start it again? I can't find a launcher anywhere, I must restart my computer, is that normal ?

Thank you again

Ah yes ... I just realized that if I click on "current function"s or "contents" or "search" from the help menu I have the following message :

die hilfe konnte nicht aufgerufen werden

translating it on google it seems to mean : the aid could not be called

So I definitely think to have a problem with my totalmix .... sad

Try this: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde … icleid=130

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

It is noted all over the place that the TRS output jack at the cable is identical to the one at the unit.

The current firmware on the web 179. If you search this forum you will also find the latest USB driver which brings TM FX 0.93 plus tons of other improvements.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME