Topic: HDSP 9652 card with 3 x ADI8s input/output latency probs?

I run 3 x ADI8s out of my HDSP 9652 card, and have done for a few years now. I use Cubase 5.  I've updated my computer a few times since then, now an i7 quad core, but still running XP 32 bit, (I plan to jump to windows 7 when I upgrade to Cubase 6 soon).

Anyway, the ADIs sync fine when the 9652 is set to master. My question is should the input latency be different to the output? I'm sure these were the same a while back, but since the last upgrade, from a fresh install, the latencies register as input 1.354, and 2.042 at the output, if set to 1.5ms buffer, (64 samples). the same goes if I use higher buffer settings, a difference between them.
I really don't know if this is normal, or if it shouldn't be exactly the same?.....

Can you enlighten me?  I can't find any info on this so far......

I have the latest WDM streaming driver and firmware update.  In Cubase, it's set to ASIO HDSP driver.  I'm I missing something here?

Many thanks if you can help me!

I mix outside of the box.  I send at least 7 group channels out of outputs 9 to 24, which is hooked up to a patchbay, which in turn is routed to a passive mixer, then I imprint a mix back to Cubase. I often patch outboard gear via the patchbay, then back to the passive mixer. If there is differences in latency, does this cause 'smearing' and phase issues? I also have outboard effects permanently patched to I/O of the ADI8s, which I use as outboard plugins in Cubase.  I'm concerned this difference also has a negative effect? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I really don't know about this.  Any info would be greatly appreciated....

Mark Paltridge

Re: HDSP 9652 card with 3 x ADI8s input/output latency probs?

It's the 32-Sample playback safety buffer causing the output latency to register higher than the input latency (IIRC).  100% normal.

Cubase should be accounting for the driver's latency intrinsically, but you will want to have Cubase measure the external analog inserts to properly measure the ADI-8's AD/DA conversion latency (the driver can not report this latency as you could have any number of different AD/DA's connected to an ADAT port - all with different conversion latencies).

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8