Topic: wordlock : do I need to send cable from FF800 to mixing board or ADAT

Hi guys,

I just got my FF800 today. I was told I should link the wordsync from the FF800 to my Yamaha 02R so it uses the FF800 wordlock and might provide better results since I also use the mixer (Yamaha) outboard and this is old. Or I was told that maybe the ADAT was transmitting the sync to the Yamaha mixer (since I will use both ADAT in/out to/from this mixer.

What should I do ?

Thanks,

Rob

Re: wordlock : do I need to send cable from FF800 to mixing board or ADAT

For a simple connection like this, Sync via ADAT is fully sufficient, Word Clock is not required.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,

Just to make sure I get it optimized: I do have a BNC cable available (no need for purchase). Do you mean that it would not *add any value* to use it between the 02R and the FF800 ? And as for sync via ADAT: do I need to do anything, or I can assume that is *is* doing the job? (So far, I have no problem, just that I was told that syncing the 02R as slave to the FF800 would *improve* (the 02R is an old technology, capable of 44.1 KHz or 48 KHz (but I *think* limited to 20bit) - so it's kind of a bottleneck (although I have not experienced enough with both devices to actually see a difference. Most likely one day I'll come up with not using it anymore... But it's cool and impressive to have it :-)
Thanks
Rob

If the extra Word Clock makes you feel good, then by all means, do use it... :-)
It really does not add value to such a connection, though. ADAT is fine.

I also would not refer to 20 bit conversion to a bottleneck per se... If the converters are of good quality, then 20 bit is certainly usable. Mind that most of today's 24 bit converters have S/N rations well below the theoretical 120 dB of 20 bit...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME