Topic: delivery of new babyface not smooth . . .

I received my babyface today.  I could not find a way to download the drivers from the internet without first using the disc that came with the unit because it could not be recognized by windows at plugin, and so no wizard was available.  After downloading from the disc, I succesfully updated to latest formal driver, I believe.966.  I then downloaded frimware update 179.  Made sure it was the audio device in Windows.  Plugged in to hi z jack, could not get any sound.  All the lights are on, but no gain in totalmix. 

I put it back in the box and set up my old card till I can get some help.  The only thing I can think of now is that I'm running xp sp3, for which the driver was not explicitly said to work (only up to sp2 for xp??).  That don't seem too likely.

Any thoughts?

Re: delivery of new babyface not smooth . . .

I could not find a way to download the drivers from the internet without first using the disc that came with the unit because it could not be recognized by windows at plugin, and so no wizard was available

Sorry, but this is wrong. You don´t need to install a driver, to download the latest drivers and firmware from the internet, just an internet connection. Download, unzip, install. If you have a problem with the Windows 7 install dialog not opening automatically in the device manager to install the Babyface driver, please read this thread: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7348

Plugged in to hi z jack, could not get any sound.

To use the Hi-Z input instead of the analog input 2, please press the "Inst" button in analog channel 2 of TotalMix. This button switches the input from the input of the breakout cable to the Instrument input on the right side of the Babyface.

The only thing I can think of now is that I'm running xp sp3, for which the driver was not explicitly said to work

It works from SP2 and better.

best regards
Knut

guess I've been lucky in the past to never have had any problems with hardware not initially recognized, the wizard not coming up, etc.  But anyway, thx for the quick response.  baby is breathing and making noises, ha.

guess I've been lucky in the past to never have had any problems with hardware not initially recognized, the wizard not coming up, etc.

Everybody was lucky, until Microsoft changed this.

best regards
Knut