Topic: New Mac driver supposed to fix clicks and distortion - Update

As this one spreads over several threads I make a temporary one here. Thanks to one user's clear example on how to reproduce unexpected clicks (using two different programs on different channels at higher sample rates than 48 kHz) we got aware of two fundamental ways to improve the driver's performance. Version 1.52 includes the improvements of driver 1.51, and adds another improvement directly in hardware by a new Mac firmware for Babyface, Fireface UC and Fireface UFX. This new firmware is downward compatible, so when using the current official driver 1.50 there will be no change in behaviour.

Update 05/06/2011: fix for distortion after sleep and hot-plugging now included in version 1.55.

We would be glad if anyone affected could give this driver/firmware combo a try. Download:

Update 05/06/2011 !!!!
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/usb_mac_155.zip

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … c_pre3.zip

The FUT will flash firmware UC: 115, Babyface: 183, UFX: 343 (DSP 134).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

2 (edited by redsound 2011-04-16 22:02:27)

Re: New Mac driver supposed to fix clicks and distortion - Update

Again, I should quickly jump in and say THANK YOU. (Although it should have been done sooner...)
In any case, the BF works just perfectly after I did various expected and unexpected scenarios, pulling off the USB cable in the middle of it playing something, closing and opening the computer lid in the middle of playing, etc.

I am sure there will be many more happy users like me today!

J.

It works like a charm. Thanks a lot!!

Works great!

I am getting the crackling again when I plugged the BF back to my macbook pro...

As I wrote in another thread some months ago, I also had distortion and cliks on audio with a MacBook Pro 2009 and UC forcing to reboot.I was on the way to sell the UC for something else.Two weeks ago I bought a new MacBookPro 15 2X 2.2Gz/i7 processor and....no more distortion problem after a lot of use.Of course this has to be confirmed 100% with a longer usage time but the fact is that previously I had distortion happening pretty often.I tried with NI Kore/Ableton live and all the NI stuff in stand alone either one at a time or for ex Live and Kore stand alone together .
I didn't even install the latest driver/firmware posted yesterday.....maybe  this is all related to the USB port on the Mac side, althought I have no idea if they changed something on the new model.

The 2008/09 Macbooks use NVidia Nforce 730i/9400 chipsets that also drive the USB ports. In 2010 the chipset changed to Intel 5 Series/3400. 2011 may have seen another change in chipset, I didn't check yet.

Working really well here MC.. (MacBookPro5,3  2010model)
The only other thing I have been noticing is with Digicheck. I notice that the meters flicker a lot when TotalmixFX is open, however, when I quit TFX, it's perfect!
But I suspect that has something to do with Digicheck.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

redsound, we need to work this out in detail. You have the Macbook running but no audio. You then plug in the Babyface. You then wait how long? You then start a simple stereo playback with iTunes?

If distortion is there: What happens if you stop playback, pull out the BF and plug it back in within 1 second? If this is a start-up problem caused by the USB bus power such a method could clear the distortion.

Additionally it would be good to know how that distortion 'looks' like. Can you record a distorted playback of a sine wave as wav file, only 2 seconds is enough, and send it to us? Digitally via SPDIF or ADAT. Even better would be recorded by a different device, but the BF itself should work too. The waveform will show if the distortion is caused by buffers shifted or mixed, or if some parts are simply muted by OS X own erase routines.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by yavuz 2011-04-19 12:37:37)

So far, it has fixed my distorted sound problem when unplugged and re-plugged without restarting my MAC smile
Thanks to everyone who has worker hard on this.
I have FFUC and a MBPro purchased in 2009.

11 (edited by redsound 2011-04-20 14:41:07)

@MC, thanks for the suggestion.
Here is what is happening.

I boot my macbook pro with/or without the BF connected, once the booting is complete, I play some sound (or without the BF connected, I connect it and play some sound) through iTune or simply from the Finder. Everything works fine. I don't hear any digital noise.
But, when I stop playing the sound, unplug the BF, wait only a second (the length of the waiting doesn't really matter...), and plug it back to the macbook pro. The BF goes through the normal booting sequence and I see Totalmix and FF USB Settings open. Then I play the same sound and I hear that digital noise, which will continue whatever I do (log out and back in, unplug-plug the BF....) until I fully restart the macbook pro.

So you can see, the problem happens when the BF is unplugged and plugged back in.

I did record the sinewave through ADAT to another device and sent it to your email address. I hope this helps!

Thanks for the help.

Jun

Thanks a lot! Brains smoking over here...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

@MC, one more information that may (may not) help you.
I thought I would reinstall the Fireface USB driver so I did. After restarting, the BF works really well. I did the "plug-unplug" thing for one- to 20-second long and there was no nasty digital noise. But at some point, and I really don't know what really triggers it, when I unplug and plug it back, I get the noise. I tried this sequence for three times now. The last time, it was because I unplugged the BF and closed the lid of the macbook pro, waited for about 10 seconds, opened it, and plugged it back to hear the noise.

So apparently, reinstalling the USB driver (1.52) somehow helps the BF regain its functionality, and then it soon loses it.

Jun

Same problem here as redsound has. First it worked great. Plugging, unplugging, closing the lid, etc. --> no problem.

Today, after having the macbook in sleepmode for 2h, the noise was back there during playback with iTunes.

I recorded the noise with an -12 dB 1kHz sine coming from Logic, using the Fireface UC sending via spdif to M-Box, recording with reaper.

noise

MacbookPro 5,5 OSX 10.6.5 with parallels installed

I hope this helps!?

Hi,
this is great news! Can unplug my Macbook Pro 13 (2,53Ghz 2009, VmWare installed) now without rebooting - after first tests , it seems to be fine now - this  is really a phantastic easter gift!

Thanks a lot!

Best regards
Wolfgang Sperner

@WSperner: Wait for a bit more. I also thought it was working, but sooner or later, the noise will get you...

Yeah same thing with my FFUC and MBP

Well, this doesnt solve my case. I really like the fact that i can plug in my fireface at any time and just go, but babyface needs a restart to fully work. Could this be improved?

Not working particularly well here - does sound good though, which almost makes up for the lack of stability:
2.2Ghz i7 MBP, 320Gb Hybrid SSD/HD, 8Gb Ram.
Logic 9, PT 9, Komplete 7, SoundToys Native.

Have had clicks & pops as well as (thankfully quiet) spurious data bursts since day 1 with both the original & curent firmware & drivers.

Now suddenly today I'm getting Kernel panics when I boot the MBP into either my general use or audio partitions as well as no response from the Babyface when waking from sleep or sometimes a complete freeze of the Total Mix FX software & my entire finder when waking from sleep - I have not experienced the fader/software failing to respond to the jogwheel with the latest firmware/drivers but did have this a few times prior to the update.

Tech Tool, Disk Warrior, Disk Utility report no issues & the set-up is working fine with the variety of M-Audio & MOTU interfaces I have here.
In general practice as long as I don't boot with the Babyface connected or sleep it seems ok (other than the odd burst of digital gibberish)......what a pain though.

Expect better drivers form RME tbh, esp on the Mac platform where there is such a limited number of possible hardware configurations compared to that other less desirable platform.

What's in the pipeline guys - are we going to have some proper drivers soon? I would certainly not use the Babyface with a client present at this point in time & that makes me a little nervous considering I have all this other (free) gear sitting around.

Again......it does sound great - I'm going to re-install the driver package on both partitions & see how I get on.

It should be obvious that what you describe is far from the usual experience with the Babyface. That said did you ever try a different unit?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It should be obvious?
I wouldn't draw that conclusion based on the experience of other users on here - the symptoms I'm describing are not unique to this particular unit.

I haven't tried another unit - would you suggest this is the best course of action?

Thanks..

22 (edited by drainaudio 2011-05-01 21:37:46)

Ok, I'm now prepared to believe that this particular Babyface has unfortunately developed some issues - today it started randomly emitting bursts of noise and the meters (on unit itself) hit & stayed red.
Luckily I wasn't monitoring using headphones nor did I have my monitors at any sort of volume where damage could have occurred :-/

I pulled the Babyface, plugged in a different interface, reset the driver within Logic & have been working for the last 6 hours on the same open project without any further surprises.

Matthias - what's the best option for an exchange please?
Through the retailer or directly through the distributor (I have their contacts already).

Thanks..

Hey Geoff,
Those Hybrid drives are problematic with audio for some reason. (is it a Seagate?)

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

Hey Matt,
Yes, it's a Seagate Momentus XT - dammit, didn't see any info re them being unsuitable for audio prior to purchase.
I'll have a bit of a nose around with Google & see what I can find.

Cheers for the info wink

Interested in that one too - never heard before.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I use a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB with Babyface with Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 x64 with no problems at all.

I did 32ch recordings with that laptop (in this case not with babyface) with no problem.

Important is that you use Firmware SD24 for the harddisk. Some laptops have problems (freezing) with SD23 - not all. This is independent from Babyface. I had that too and did a firmware update to SD24. Since then those freezes (about one 7 second freeze each two hours) are away.
This is my Seagate Momentus XT story...

Regards,
Hermann

HI Hermann,
Yes, anything I've found on Google re the Momentus XT has been regarding firmware prior to SD24 which is what I'm running.

I've not had any disk related issues since installation but am a little wary of the bad rep Seagate have at the moment re reliability so am keeping the Hitachi Travelstar it replaced in a safe place for now wink
- as well as my double cloning which is scheduled to run by Carbon Copy Cloner hourly wink
(1 disk then lives in the glovebox overnight & I also do a twice-weekly which lives at my equipment lockup).

I'm using OWC SSD's in the live Macbook's at the moment & they are incredible (Redundant Logic rig also using Battery as a plugin within Logic for triggered drum sounds in an area of high stage vibration......barely breaking a sweat) but for those I can utilize the 60Gb model which is cost-effective - above that they are just silly money right now, for the future however the way to go.....sub 20 sec boot times yes please!!

I re-installed the Babyface driver for a 3rd time yesterday & got through a day without any drama - that said (& as I've been discussing with Matt) I don't feel the new i7 MacBooks are very well integrated in regards to Mac OSX & Logic at this pont (silly bugs that don't happen on the Core 2 Duo, overloads due to one core being used heavily while others are dormant etc) - unfortunately this always seems to be the way with Apple Hardware & my past 3 upgrades have been similar.....you spends your money for a very slight performance upgrade & a bunch of new issues that didn't exist on the machine you replaced then slowly over the course of 6 months to a year it all starts to work as it should.

Hopefully with Lion & full 64-bit support I'll see the performance & stability that this MBP should be capable of..........I realised this week when picking up a new Stingray that I'd ordered why I love simple wooden instruments so much........you pick one, play, become friends, job done......the oldest Stingray I own (first thing I bought in London in 96) has had a couple of fret dresses & that 's it in all that time.......oh for computers to be as head-ache free wink))

Anyway, I'm going to keep working with the Babyface & see how I get on - it sounds too good not to use right now.

Back on topic: we think we fixed it! The distortion like sound (which is wild repeated muting of the audio signal) that happened on some machines during hot-plugging with or without sleep should be gone now. Please try driver version 1.54, link in the first post.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Back on topic: we think we fixed it! The distortion like sound (which is wild repeated muting of the audio signal) that happened on some machines during hot-plugging with or without sleep should be gone now. Please try driver version 1.54, link in the first post.

Is it OK to use this new driver in conjunction with the Pre2 firmware for USB recording?

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

Yes, and the basic problem should still be gone. But the performance improvements from the newer Mac firmware is missing then. We will update all drivers in a few days to have matching versions on all drivers/hardware.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Yes, and the basic problem should still be gone. But the performance improvements from the newer Mac firmware is missing then. We will update all drivers in a few days to have matching versions on all drivers/hardware.

Thanks Matthias!

I'll wait for the new matching versions instead.

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

I tried testing again in OSX to see if my live set would work better now with newer driver from RME for my audio interface. I still had buffer underuns. This was with a 128 sample buffer and then CPU at only 15%. This time I used Ableton Live has my host since I already know these happen in Mainstage. And again to restate from another thread none of this happens at all if I run Windows 7 on the exact same hardware. Macbook pro i7 2.66ghz (Mid2010)

Here is Console log messages when it happened.

5/4/11 6:21:47 AM    kernel    OAudioStream[0xbaef300]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (c075,fd9)
5/4/11 6:21:47 AM    kernel    IOAudioStream[0xbaf1d00]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (c073,fd9)->(c076,7e9).
5/4/11 6:21:47 AM    kernel    IOAudioStream[0xbaf1d00]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (c075,fd9)

www.toddbass.com
Macbook pro i7 15" (mid 2012) 8 gigs ram, Fireface UCX

33 (edited by Timur 2011-05-04 15:42:04)

Please test again with Mainstage and the new driver. Ableton Live is not a good application to test low latency low CPU load situations, because it suffers very badly from CPU power-saving features like Speedstep.

But if you like you can send me your test Live Set and I will run it here on similar hardware (2010 MBP).

Cheers Matthias..

Could one of the people with reproducible issues and Macbook Pros before 2010 please test if the older (non-fixed) driver works differently when the graphic is switched from 9400M to 9600M and back (energy settings in OS X)?

36 (edited by gtodd876 2011-05-05 23:48:25)

I tried Mainstage and it wont even open up my Mainstage set now! Opened up fine yestedray. Beach ball just spins forever until I force quit. I tried to open it 3 times. I got a show tomorrow so I'm just gonna have to go back Win7 and I guess I'm have to buildup a new Mainstage set from scratch if I want to test that this weekend. Oh, how I hate OSX right now.

www.toddbass.com
Macbook pro i7 15" (mid 2012) 8 gigs ram, Fireface UCX

37 (edited by lemonstre 2011-05-06 08:08:23)

Got some kernel Panics on my Machine (MacOS 10.6.7) with the 1.54 driver.

Log from a crash simply playing a song with iTunes. Maybe this helps-> http://devue.de/crashlog_1.54.txt

Same for me Lemonstre, Kernel panic when waking from sleep, attempting to use the Babyface after sleep or just using it at all (had been emailing for an hour launched iTunes hit play...Kernel panic).
Reinstalled the driver package no change, report below from lastest:

Interval Since Last Panic Report:  211502 sec
Panics Since Last Report:          2
Anonymous UUID:                    DA0C0693-9620-4408-96F0-2C363ABCDF72

Fri May  6 10:33:45 2011
panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff80002d11f4): Kernel trap at 0xffffff7f81636a06, type 14=page fault, registers:
CR0: 0x000000008001003b, CR2: 0x0000000000000000, CR3: 0x00000000581b6000, CR4: 0x0000000000040660
RAX: 0xffffff801477f600, RBX: 0xffffff80b16d29d0, RCX: 0xffffff80c3d35f20, RDX: 0xffffff80932e454c
RSP: 0xffffff80b16d2960, RBP: 0xffffff80b16d29c0, RSI: 0xffffff8014648500, RDI: 0x0000000000000000
R8:  0x0000000000000000, R9:  0x0000000000000000, R10: 0x0000000000000000, R11: 0xffffff800053a83e
R12: 0xffffff80932e4000, R13: 0x0000009f886b3f14, R14: 0xffffff801c019428, R15: 0x0000000000000000
RFL: 0x0000000000010293, RIP: 0xffffff7f81636a06, CS:  0x0000000000000008, SS:  0x0000000000000010
Error code: 0x0000000000000000

Backtrace (CPU 2), Frame : Return Address
0xffffff80b16d2600 : 0xffffff8000204d15
0xffffff80b16d2700 : 0xffffff80002d11f4
0xffffff80b16d2850 : 0xffffff80002e3f1a
0xffffff80b16d2860 : 0xffffff7f81636a06
0xffffff80b16d29c0 : 0xffffff7f81636d38
0xffffff80b16d2a10 : 0xffffff7f8080ada3
0xffffff80b16d2a30 : 0xffffff7f8080ac8d
0xffffff80b16d2a50 : 0xffffff7f80810de4
0xffffff80b16d2a80 : 0xffffff800053c1bd
0xffffff80b16d2af0 : 0xffffff800053a7ad
0xffffff80b16d2b40 : 0xffffff7f8080e20c
0xffffff80b16d2b60 : 0xffffff8000552cb3
0xffffff80b16d2be0 : 0xffffff8000552ff2
0xffffff80b16d2c60 : 0xffffff800055377e
0xffffff80b16d2db0 : 0xffffff80002ba18c
0xffffff80b16d3e50 : 0xffffff8000205536
0xffffff80b16d3e80 : 0xffffff80002029eb
0xffffff80b16d3ef0 : 0xffffff8000274142
0xffffff80b16d3f60 : 0xffffff80002c305d
0xffffff80b16d3fa0 : 0xffffff80002e4854
      Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):
         de.rme-audio.driver.FirefaceUSB(1.54)@0xffffff7f81632000->0xffffff7f81638fff
            dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.8.3fc2)@0xffffff7f80805000
            dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily(4.2.0)@0xffffff7f8104f000
         com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.8.3fc2)@0xffffff7f80805000->0xffffff7f80820fff
            dependency: com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib(1.3)@0xffffff7f80800000

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: QuickTime Player

Mac OS version:
10J3250

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 10.7.3: Sun Mar  6 13:37:56 PST 2011; root:xnu-1504.14.2~1/RELEASE_X86_64
System model name: MacBookPro8,2 (Mac-94245A3940C91C80)

Thanks MC, but I am also getting the kernel panic.
I think the new driver seems to be working when I plug/unplug the BF, but it gives the kernel panic every time iI play something from iTune after the my macbook pro (mid-2009) goes to sleep and wake up (with/without the BF connected).

Ooops, ok, we check again !

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,

UC: Kernel panic after sleep, but seems to handle hot swapping.

Thanks!

arve

Confirmed. Somehow slipped through at the end of testing. Fix maybe in a few hours.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Driver 1.55 fixes the standby/sleep problem. This was a real and new error in the code of 1.54, so with 1.55 we should have the final version. Link in the first post.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes! It now works. It passed the initial test of hot-plugging and sleep-wakeup sequences.

Hope this is it!

Works! Great.

Thanks.

arve

Working here so far..
Thanks.

thx, works flawless now!

Ooooopppss - spoke too soon, woke form sleep today, Kernel panic again.

Interval Since Last Panic Report:  236256 sec
Panics Since Last Report:          3
Anonymous UUID:                    DA0C0693-9620-4408-96F0-2C363ABCDF72

Sat May  7 17:10:23 2011
panic(cpu 6 caller 0xffffff80002d11f4): Kernel trap at 0xffffff801918a300, type 14=page fault, registers:
CR0: 0x000000008001003b, CR2: 0x0000000000000000, CR3: 0x000000005d766000, CR4: 0x0000000000040660
RAX: 0x0000000000000000, RBX: 0xffffff80af792940, RCX: 0x0000000000000018, RDX: 0x00000000000f9915
RSP: 0xffffff80af7928c8, RBP: 0xffffff80af792930, RSI: 0xffffff801332e300, RDI: 0xffffff8012fbde40
R8:  0xffffff8091b34488, R9:  0xffffff8091b35c88, R10: 0xffffff80191c3900, R11: 0xffffff800053a83e
R12: 0xffffff8091b34000, R13: 0x0000001dcd91ccd1, R14: 0xffffff801514e5a8, R15: 0x0000000000000000
RFL: 0x0000000000010246, RIP: 0xffffff801918a300, CS:  0x0000000000000008, SS:  0x0000000000000010
Error code: 0x0000000000000002

Backtrace (CPU 6), Frame : Return Address
0xffffff80af792560 : 0xffffff8000204d15
0xffffff80af792660 : 0xffffff80002d11f4
0xffffff80af7927b0 : 0xffffff80002e3f1a
0xffffff80af7927c0 : 0xffffff801918a300
0xffffff80af792930 : 0xffffff7f8103ed38
0xffffff80af792980 : 0xffffff7f81023da3
0xffffff80af7929a0 : 0xffffff7f81023c8d
0xffffff80af7929c0 : 0xffffff7f81029de4
0xffffff80af7929f0 : 0xffffff800053c1bd
0xffffff80af792a60 : 0xffffff800053a7ad
0xffffff80af792ab0 : 0xffffff7f8102720c
0xffffff80af792ad0 : 0xffffff8000552cb3
0xffffff80af792b50 : 0xffffff8000552ff2
0xffffff80af792bd0 : 0xffffff800055377e
0xffffff80af792d20 : 0xffffff80002ba18c
0xffffff80af793dc0 : 0xffffff8000205536
0xffffff80af793df0 : 0xffffff80002029eb
0xffffff80af793e60 : 0xffffff8000274142
0xffffff80af793ed0 : 0xffffff80002c2d72
0xffffff80af793fa0 : 0xffffff80002e44f6
      Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):
         de.rme-audio.driver.FirefaceUSB(1.55)@0xffffff7f8103a000->0xffffff7f81040fff
            dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.8.3fc2)@0xffffff7f8101e000
            dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily(4.2.0)@0xffffff7f8092e000
         com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.8.3fc2)@0xffffff7f8101e000->0xffffff7f81039fff
            dependency: com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib(1.3)@0xffffff7f81019000

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Logic Pro

Mac OS version:
10J3250

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 10.7.3: Sun Mar  6 13:37:56 PST 2011; root:xnu-1504.14.2~1/RELEASE_X86_64
System model name: MacBookPro8,2 (Mac-94245A3940C91C80)

49 (edited by Eric Bradley 2011-05-07 20:16:11)

@drainaudio
I see that you are using the latest MacBook Pro.
As you can see on the KP-reports it boots by defaults into a 64-bit kernel.

Have you tried making it boot into the 32-bit kernel?
Try it once by holding down 3 and 2 while powering up.

Ps. Not sure that this will help but it's worth a try.

RME Fireface UFX

Hello Eric,
I've changed last week from Windows to Mac, with a Early 2011 Macbook Pro. I really hate that "boot in 32 bit mode" advice because I don't want to hold those keys at every boot ("ahhh.. forgotten") and more important to me 64 bit makes some sense - at least in RAM usage and I'm sure also for more things...
BTW - the actual Lacie Rugged SAFE external hard disks don't support 64 bit mode - i sent it back because it's annoying.
When I buy a top-line product this inacceptable to me.

So I'm looking forward and waiting for a production release smile - I didn't try the sleep thing though, I'm always shutting down until now.

Regards,
Hermann