51 (edited by Eric Bradley 2011-05-08 11:08:09)

Re: New Mac driver supposed to fix clicks and distortion - Update

hermste wrote:

Hello Eric,
I've changed last week from Windows to Mac, with a Early 2011 Macbook Pro. I really hate that "boot in 32 bit mode" advice because I don't want to hold those keys at every boot ("ahhh.. forgotten") and more important to me 64 bit makes some sense - at least in RAM usage and I'm sure also for more things...
BTW - the actual Lacie Rugged SAFE external hard disks don't support 64 bit mode - i sent it back because it's annoying.
When I buy a top-line product this inacceptable to me.

Ok... you are confusing things.
64-bit kernel is not the same thing as a 64-bit OS!

The kernel is a bridge between applications/os and the actual data processing done at the hardware level.
This means that you can still use 64-bit OS, 64-bit apps and address up to 32 GB RAM.
There are benefits to the X86_64 kernel but as you have encountered there are also hardware connection problems (Lacie Rugged SAFE external hard disks!) due to 32-bit kernel extensions.

Anyway, to get the computer to boot into the i386 (32-bit) kernel every time you'll have to do this:

Launch the terminal and type:
sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386

This will make your computer boot into 32-bit kernel every time.

If you want to go back to the original setting you'll just have to type this:

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64

As I stated above in my previous post, I'm not sure that this is the problem but it is definitely worth a try?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(computing)
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4287
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3773

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

Running also 64bit kernel on a late 2009 iMac. No problems so far!

Driver vs. 155 is unfortunately also giving me Kernel panics when I boot.

@Eric - interesting & valuable suggestion but this stuff either has to work or not, in this day and age certainly as far as I'm concerned "hacking" your set-up in order to get stability is not acceptable esp' when the ticking clock = £'s.

So far you seem to be the only one. Could we send you a special debug version to further examine what's going on?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC - that would would be fine, I have a couple of days of downtime right now so ideal really.
Thanks..

Hi,

got a kernel panic today. Probably it happened before going to sleep, because the computer hung and was warm with the fan going when I came back to it.

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):
         de.rme-audio.driver.FirefaceUSB(1.55)@0x597ea000->0x597f0fff
            dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.8.0fc1)@0x90c000
            dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily(4.1.8)@0x1395000
         com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.8.0fc1)@0x90c000->0x923fff
            dependency: com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib(1.3)@0x908000

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Spotify

Mac OS version:
10J869

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 10.7.0: Sat Jan 29 15:17:16 PST 2011; root:xnu-1504.9.37~1/RELEASE_I386
System model name: MacBookPro5,3 (Mac-F22587C8)

Cheers
Arve

57 (edited by talino 2011-05-10 13:18:54)

I wrote another post about this problem because I didn't notice this thread. At any rate, FW v115 and Driver v1.55 have not fixed the clicks I hear when auditioning 48Khz material with QuickLook. I have no kernel panics (for the time being...)

My results:
Macbook Pro Early 2011 with latest software updates, SSD & 8GB RAM.
Babyface Firmware 183
Driver 1.55

I'm playing something in VLC via Babyface - no problem.
Stop playback. Unplug USB. Replug USB. No problem, plays with no problem for me.
Then, stop playback. Going to "Ruhezustand" (i suppose this is the sleep state in english?). I leave the babyface plugged in. Going from Ruhezustand back, no problem, starting playback in VLC, music there without problems (no clicks, crackles or whatever).

I have to say that I did just a short test, I did playback just for 5 minutes - but maybe it helps.
I changed last week to this Macbook and I have to say that all that firmware update utility and driver updating is so much smoother than on windows 7 / XP for me - no driver uninstalling when updating, no warning screen when driver installing/updating, FUT goes fast and feels good.
Thank you & regards,
Hermann