Topic: spdif question rme800 fireface

i see that the fireface mixer has 2 channels of spdif in.

it is possible to hook up two preamps with spdif out to the spdif rca in on the fireface ?

is there any Y cable available?

is there any way to do that?

thanks

Re: spdif question rme800 fireface

The SPDIF connection is always stereo (RCA < RCA). So your single channel preamps will have both a stereo output even if there is only a mono signal transmitted on one channel. You need a digital signal merger with two separate SPDIF RCA inputs to merge them to a dual mono signal.

best regards
Knut

thanks!

from where can i get a digital signal merger?
any ideas
i searched all over but i can't find..one
thanks

There is a merge unit available from Mutec Germany (Smart Merge). A digital mixer with two SPDIF inputs and one SPDIF output should also do the mix of both signals. Or do you have another RME interface with SPDIF input and ADAT output?

What preamps do you use?

best regards
Knut

Admin Knut wrote:

There is a merge unit available from Mutec Germany (Smart Merge). A digital mixer with two SPDIF inputs and one SPDIF output should also do the mix of both signals. Or do you have another RME interface with SPDIF input and ADAT output?

What preamps do you use?

best regards
Knut

hello
no i have a single RME 800 unit.
my pres are: a dbx376 and a line6 pod pro, booth with spdi out.
every time i have to switch in the back..

thanks

Yes, these are mono preamps with stereo spdif output. I'am afraid you need another digital hardware to mix the preamp signals together.

best regards
Knut

lowbass5 wrote:
Admin Knut wrote:

What preamps do you use?

best regards
Knut

hello
no i have a single RME 800 unit.
my pres are: a dbx376 and a line6 pod pro, booth with spdi out.
every time i have to switch in the back..

thanks

Do you want to use the digital input because all the analogue ones are taken?  Otherwise, why not take the analogue output from your preamps?  There has to be an A>D stage SOMEWHERE, does it really matter if it's in the preamp or in the FF800?