Topic: just need a quick one to be started with PT9 on my FF800... under Win7

Ok, yes I need to go through reading and finding some tutorials on PT9 - never worked with that before. My reference is Sonar wher I can (very simply) see my I/O per track and select it.

I might just have lost patience just installing, activating, registering, getting iLock connected with problems with IE9 and Firefox 4... finally went through under Safari.  Then being registered (God knows how I was brought there) on an AVID video forum... so I am not (yet) recognized on PT9 forums (the DUC so they call...). This has been 4 hours I have been caught with this. Then in order to help, Avid provide some ''samples'' that prompt about 40 times during opening so to tell that this and that and that and that track are not available without PT/HD !!... Very useful as I *just* wanted to open and playback a project to get some clue about how it goes visually...

Now, ok: I get to Setup I/O and see it sees my Fireface 800, show me I/O. Fine, as I would see that in TotalMix I guess. But how do I... simply get, say, optical 1 (ADAT) to output my (say..) track 1 ?...  (If I go beside the name of that track, I can see ''output'', then only have 3 choices: ''main stereo'', mono 1, mono 2....(or something like this).  Refering to Sonar, I would have a rolling menu with all my Fireface Analog and ADAT output options very visible, and check one.  Isn't there something like this with PT9 ?

Guys I am aware this is more about getting to know Pro Tools basics rather than working with FF800 (which remains also new to me... So please bear with me ... again :-)

Thanks,
Rob

2 (edited by 19 frets 2011-04-27 04:04:41)

Re: just need a quick one to be started with PT9 on my FF800... under Win7

Go to Setup in PT 9 and select I/O.  You will see a matrix of possible inputs and outputs.  Select each of the first four tabs across the top (Input, Output, Buses, Inserts).  For each one click the Default button at the bottom of the page.  If you are only using the one FF800 interface make sure the box is checked at the bottom of the page that says "Sessions overwrite current I/O setup when opened".  Now when you save your session, it will save this I/O config and use it again the next time you open this session in PT 9.

Now when you go to Output to the left of the track you should see all available FF800 Input, Output, Insert and Bus options.  You should now be able to select the appropriate I/O's using TotalMix to route them wherever you need them to go.  Hope this is what you are looking for and it helps a bit.  I am a new PT 9 user too and it is a bit of a learning curve coming from Sonar.  Most of the capabilities are there, it is just a whole new vocabulary and way of doing things.  Good luck!

Re: just need a quick one to be started with PT9 on my FF800... under Win7

Thanks for this.
Actually, I can now record tracks. I also loaded a project done in another studio (PT HD though).

In both cases, when comparing to what I have in Sonar (where it is quite easy to *see* and select I/O), first the names of I/O appearing here are not obvious... (don't even see if it's analog or digital. I see lines like 'Output 1 - Stereo' 'Output 1 - Left' and so on... Then the worst : no matter which output I select, it seems they go all at same place!  If. for instance, I select an output on 8 for one track, 9, or 5 , or whatever for other tracks, they all display (and output) on same channels on the mixing board.  (Yeah, once again, it's learning Pro Tools, but why the names of the I/O don't appear with more obvious names (such as in Sonar) ? IS it RME related or Pro Tools 9 ?

Thanks,
Rob