Topic: Multiface II : No SPDIF Out Signal (using Cinch / coaxial)

hello everyone,

i have some issues getting a spdif signal out... i connected my multiface II (desktop daw) with another audio interface (laptop) via cinch/coaxial...

i'm getting a spdif - in signal (from laptop audio interface to the multiface), no problem...

but if i want to send a signal to the laptop audio interface via multiface out spdif, there is noc signal?? sad

BUT: in the multiface mixer i can see  levels in the "spdif chain", so it seems there is a problem getting this signal "out"!

what did i do wrong?

thanks and best wishes
michael

ps: another short question:
do you know some kind of small and transportable usb or express card solution for spdif IN?
what's the most transportable way to upgrade my laptop with a spdif/digital in? i saw digital out solutions but couldn't find spdif IN wink
thanks again

Re: Multiface II : No SPDIF Out Signal (using Cinch / coaxial)

What interface on your laptop? Is it set to sync ext spdif?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

There's a switch in the the HDSP settings that switches the SPDIF out from optical to coax: make sure it's not set to "ADAT".

As for a simple quality SPDIF input card, your best bet is to go with a cheaper prosumer USB inteface with SPDIF I/O; the analog electronics would be irrelevant. Be wary of the cheaper consumer options out there: many work at one sample rate and/or re-sample digital internally (re-convert). If you have any Macbook, both headphone and line in jacks are also optical jacks so all you would need is an COAX to Optical converter.

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1

thanks!! but the two suggestions didn't work out..

i tried to switch the other audio interface (an old m audio audiophile) to ext.! it didn't work... it's greyed out sad
probably because there is no spdif in signal?!

i looked at the hammerfall settings: i think there is no spdif out "coax"... there is something like emphasise, professional...
what do you suggest i should try?

thank you very much;)
cheers, michael

Set the MF to Master/Internal clock, plug the coax cable from out to in (loopback) and check the Settings dialog for SPDIF input signal. If that works then the problem is your M-Audio.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

"plug the coax cable from out to in (loopback)": did i understand this right?:

do you mean: plug "multiface spdif out" back in "multiface spdif in", and check the "feedback" signal? (sorry for double-checking)

Yes with the fader at zero. Just to check the sync status in the control panel.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632