Topic: Noob: Recording from TRS-8 RCA jacks to FF400

I think this is a variation on other questions I've searched in the forum, but I'm clueless enough that I've got to ask it specifically:

On Tuesday I want to convert 6 tracks (not eight) from a TRS-8 1/2" reel-to-reel, using my new FF400 and Adobe Audition. I'm going to lug my computer over to where the TRS-8 is located and then was planning to patch it in directly.

I've got the FF working here at home and have been testing things out with the RCA jacks on three consumer CD players at once.

The first thing I've figured out is that my expectation of being able to go directly from the TRS-8 to the FF using the line-level inputs was misguided. If it has the same signal strength as the CD player, I'll  need preamps (seems like I need maybe 40dBV amplication instead of the max 6dBV available through the FF mixer).

I'm also a little intimidated by the options available on tracks 3 & 4. I'm planning to skip inputs 1&2, and run things into 3-8, using external preamps for all six tracks.

I'm not expecting to use "Pad" or "Inst" on tracks 3 & 4, since I assume they are line-level without these settings.

If anybody can see anything big I'm overlooking, I'd really appreciate their advice.

Thanks!

Mark

Re: Noob: Recording from TRS-8 RCA jacks to FF400

Assuming that the 1/2" tape outs are at 'consumer' level, then you can set line in 5-8 to a matching level in the FF400 control panel (the '-10' setting).  Likewise, the front panel inputs have gain adjustment (up to 18dB gain) do not use the Inst setting. The Pad should not be set. If the Line inputas are too sensitive at the '-10' setting, then use the '+4' instead - you can make up the gain in post.

The manual has quite precise indications about these level setting facilities - check it out.

Note also the advice (if you are using unbalanced connectors like RCA) that the TRS input 'Ring' line should be grounded, not left floating.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Thanks! The issue (as I see it with my limited experience) is actually that the signal isn't strong enough and probably will require pre-amps.

At least, when I try running the RCA jacks from my CD player (I realize I'm assuming that the CD player is outputting a similar signal to the TRS-8) -- the signal is too weak at the -10dBV setting on the FF400, and even with +6dB in the mixer, is very quiet.

So I'm thinking I need preamps, unless I'm missing something basic about the FF400. But I've read the manual several times and am not seeing anything...

Also, when I use the Mic inputs (Analog 1 and 2) and take the gain to 40dB, then the level is perfect for the CD I'm playing.

So I think I'm just missing 34dB of preamplification...

I saw the advice about grounding the "ring" line input, but I don't understand how I would do that. Do I try to clip a wire to each ring on the outside of each of the inputs of the FF400? And once I've done that, what would I connect all these wires to as a ground?

Thanks!

Mark

The CD player being not loud enough is strange. Should be perfect at -10db setting. If you have a rca to ts (mono jack) cable, the ground is automaticly to ring too.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Yep!   Either the CD is recorded at a very low level or there is something wrong.  Anyway, don't worry about it.  If you are recording analog out from the recorder, then recording 24 bit in the FF400 will leave you PLENTY of noise margin to make up the gain digitally in post (especially from the usual 8-track configuration).  Just do it, and only start to worry if it doesn't sound OK.

For the transfer leads, as vinark siad, use RCA to TS leads (standard commercial lead).  This automatically takes care of the 'ground the Ring' issue.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Thanks guys, all that was exactly what I needed to know. I really appreciate it!

I'm using a Hosa 6' snake with 1/4 TS leads at each end, then RCA converters at one end. So I won't worry about doing anything additional for grounding.

I'll try testing another CD player to see if maybe it's just that unit or something (I can't imagine that it's the cable). And since that's just for testing purposes, maybe when I finally work with the TSR-8 all will be well anyway.

Cheers --

Mark