Topic: RMS values depending on release speed

I am using Digicheck 5.32 on Windows 7 / 64.

I am using two 2-bar level meters, K-System 12. Both meters have exactly the same settings with the only difference the release speed. The one meter is set to release 20 dB/s, the other with 100 dB/s.

The meter with 100 dB/s release speed displays higher rms values than the one with 20 dB/s release speed. Peak values are the same.

Detailed settings for both meters: K-12; level bar: rms; hold time: 1.0s; Oversampling: on; RBL W filter: on;

Is this expected behavor? I expected the rms values to be independent of release speed.

Regards, Mikael

2 DAWs, each C 7/64, W7/64, Dell Prec. T5500 (2 x X5690), 2 x rme HDSPe / Multiface II / Octamic II

Re: RMS values depending on release speed

RMS values can not be independent from the release speed, as long as you look at music. With steady signals (sine waves) the value will be the same.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: RMS values depending on release speed

Thank you MC. Obviously I have a misunderstanding of concept. I assumed release speed is a mere cosmetic value for how the rms bar is displayed.

When rms values depend on release speed, this means I should never change the standard release value (20 dB/s) so when the k meter is used for mixing towards rms values, the meter readings are comparable. Is this the case? Could you point me to some information on the subject? It seems I am not really understanding the issue.

Thank you,
Mikael

2 DAWs, each C 7/64, W7/64, Dell Prec. T5500 (2 x X5690), 2 x rme HDSPe / Multiface II / Octamic II