Topic: Fireface 800 adat problem at 96k

Hi !
I own a fireface 800 for about two years, and i recently decided to switch to 96k. I use a presonus digimax fs as additional 8 ch converter pre for drums. I often get clicks and pops and sync problems on second adat port. the strange thing is that it disappears for a while, after i restart,  but only for half an hour or so.

I use a PC, with a windows 7 64bit, 4 gig ram and quad core cpu. with nuendo 4 32 bit.
I have updated both the firmware and drivers as soon as i switched to windows 7, and keep updating it till the latest ones.

I thought it may be some kind of problem with Presonus itself, but i checked it with another fireface, on the same pc and there were no problems.

Recently i came across a similar post on this forum, and people and admins were talking about a series of firefaces which need some kind of hardware upgrade in order to function correctly.

can anybody give me any hints or suggestions?!?!!

Many thanks !

Re: Fireface 800 adat problem at 96k

When you get these clicks and pops, does the second ADAT port still say 'Sync' in the Settings dialog?

Usually I would suspect the optical input (TOSLINK) to be defective.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Actually it doesn't say (sync), and if so (broken port) what should i do, and is it a repairable thing?!?!

Please don't tell me that i have to do it at service center, cause they work so slow and really short on replacemnt parts.

p.s. i am in Ukraine

Hi again !

I actually read some stuff about these ports and chip-sets, Just wanted to ask, if there is any specific way to check it's functionality or no ?!

And which port should i suspect, the receiving one or sending?

P.s. checked all possible sample rates, and the problem appears to spread on all of them, fireface's ADAT2 blinks between "no lock" and "sync" with the speed of sound.

Set the unit to master and check with its own two outputs. And I am talking about the TOSLINK part, not internal cables, not chipsets.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I am kind of confused, Clock is already set to internal,

Shall i make a loop back With optical Cables from Adat 1 to Adat 2 ???!!!

Thanks for your care!

I made a loop back from adat1 to adat 2, and it shows Sync all the time and i hear no cracks and pops,

Any conclusions?

Now set AutoSync, then connect your external device to ADAT port 1, verify Sync, then change the same cable from input ADAT1 to input ADAT2. Sync?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The only clock related setting on my fireface is clock mode, in which there are 5 options to choose from :

- Internal
- word
- Spdif
- Adat 1
- Adat 2

There is no such option as AutoSync,

Also is it possible, that ADAT ports are receiving some kind of noise from neighboring gear that results in such problem? as i removed my Digimax from rack (it lives under my SM-pro headphone amplifier) and the problem seems to be gone?!?!?!?!?!?

Then select ADAT 1. ADAT 2 is chosen automatically if nothing else is connected.

ADAT ports don't receive noise, but maybe the cable had not been plugged properly into the Digimax output before...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

did the way you asked for,

Both cases say (Sync)

But it didn't sync till i switched presonus clock to internal 96k, i think it's normal as fireface went to slave mode, am i correct?!

Yes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi again !

Regarding all the testings and stuff, The problem still remains, but i actually found some new facts:

- I updated the firmware again (Although it was already the latest version), and the problem disappeared for half of hour and then came back.

That was the point when i suspected, that there must be something wrong with interconnection of SMUX Part and PC.
So I set the Clock to internal, and left it at point of 96 kHz , Saved the settings to Flash, Turned the unit off and disconnected the firewire cable.

Rebooted the unit and watched it for couple of hours;
It didn't unlock for a second, Remained still and stable at 96, being set to master.

Any conclusions?!?!?!?!

Regards!
Yuri