Topic: Phantom power on/off by encoders

Hi All,

I just became a proud owner of FF UFX a couple days ago, and just checking/learning various functions.

I couldn't find how to turn on/off phantom power from encoders on the unit itself. I checked this forum, and FF UC also is not able to turn on/off phantom from the unit. Is it still true? Then, is UFX in the same situation?

I'm planning to use UFX as a standalone location recorder, after reading its ability to record directly to USB flash drive. I'm very excited about the idea!

I can probably leave phantom power on before taking it to standalone mode, but if I forget to do that, and I go with bunch of condenser mics to the place where I may not have computers...then I would be in trouble. Don't you think?

It seems so obviouls question, and if it's been addressed many times, my apology first.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Phantom power on/off by encoders

This is possible:

1) Press channel button
2) Switch to the desired mic channel
3) scroll down to 48V

best regards
Knut

No wonder I was browsing Mic/Gain button.....
All right, so far so good... I found it. I'm so excited to use UFX as my mobile rig!

Thank you so much!
Cheers

Masaaki wrote:

I can probably leave phantom power on before taking it to standalone mode

For the record, this is not a good idea.  Plugging in mics (or unplugging them) with phantom power already engaged can damage them.  Need to hook up mics first, *then* switch on phantom power.

It can also damage the mic inputs of the (any) preamp. They have a protection circuit but better not let it do their job in the first place...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

neirbod wrote:
Masaaki wrote:

I can probably leave phantom power on before taking it to standalone mode

For the record, this is not a good idea.  Plugging in mics (or unplugging them) with phantom power already engaged can damage them.  Need to hook up mics first, *then* switch on phantom power.

Yes, I was worried about that when I checked some old threads about the use of FF UC in standalone mode, and phantom on/off with the encoders.

Now with UFX I found I can do phantom on/off without computer. I'm so happy with UFX, but UC also now?