1 (edited by TuckerMix 2011-05-17 22:23:15)

Topic: Syncing two RME Firefaces

Mac 10.6.7
RME FF800 (x2) 2.91

So I've got two RME firefaces daisy chained with firewire 800 to a macpro. I've got them sync'd with word clock (one BNC cable going from master word clock out to slave word clock in). One is set to master, the other Autosync.

When I set the master to 96k via the RME Settings app the master's settings page (bottom right corner) reads...

Sample Rate: 96000 Hz
System Clock:
Mode: Master
Freq: 96 kHz

...the Slave RME page reads...

Sample Rate: 48000 Hz 
System Clock:
Mode: Slave
Freq: 48 kHz

Also note the slave AutoSync Ref section shows...
Input: Word
Freq: 96 kHz

My question is shouldn't the System Clock section of the slave mirror that of the Master? Currently this is not the case.

Re: Syncing two RME Firefaces

The unit will not switch the sample rate range (48/96) with WCK changing. Initiate audio playback/recording in your audio software to switch both units to 96.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

First you should configure the two interfaces in Audio-Midi-Setup App as aggregate device.

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

I have a dual fireface 800 setup and I indeed have created a aggregate device.

HOWEVER, when changing sample rates in Nuendo sometime the autosynced Fireface does NOT change to the proper sample rate when Nuendo changes sample rates.

When this happens, Nuendo meters will not playback, transport runs but no sound. Assignments to the second RME autosynced will not stick in vst connections.

The autosynced RME fails to change sample rates and remain in syn with the master RME.

is this a bug?

RME Tech support?

Can you please try the new version 2.92? We added some code that might help with the multi-unit sample rate changes. Unfortunately the error never showed up on our computers with two FF 800, so we don't know if it will help in your case.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MacPro 1,1
RME Fireface 800's 2.93 / 2.77 (synced with word clock, daisy chained via FW800 into rear port)
OSX 10.7
Nuendo 5.5

Changing sample rates from nuendo, sometimes second RME not updating to new sample rate and thus audio is garbled until I manually set them to appropriate sample rate.

I just reproduced this switching from 44.1 to 192k.

According to RME's statement "The unit will not switch the sample rate range (48/96) with WCK changing. Initiate audio playback/recording in your audio software to switch both units to 96." this seems like a bug in the latest drivers as slave RME FF800 failed to update to proper sample rate.

It may just be that the sample rate menu in Fireface Settings app of the slave RME does not update, although sync ref does appear to be correct.

Would be must less confusing if all sample rate menus would always show accurate selection per sync reference.