Topic: Rolling back firmware?

Hello,
I was in a "let's try it" mode, and updated my FF UFX firmware to be able to do the USB direct recording.
Firmware update was successful. Meter button showed the recording options...great.
Now, TM FX won't start, and it crashes after showing the setup mismatch message a couple time.
I copied the latest TM FX to Windows/System32 folder as suggested. After rebooting/power down both PC and UFX, still the same.
I wanted to roll back the firmware, and reinstall the driver (and TM FX) to go back to the point it was working.
But is the firmware rolling back possible?

Thank you.

Re: Rolling back firmware?

You did not exit TM from the tray, so your copy action failed, it is still the old file.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Masaaki 2011-05-18 06:10:19)

I knew I had to exit the TM FX from the tray. Otherwise, copy action won't go through.

So, here's what I did.
First, I connected the UFX (after firmware update of public pre release 3) to the PC (Win 7 64bit) that doesn't have any UFX driver installation. I updated driver from the device manager, using the driver set fx_win_3044. I did exit the TM FX from the icon tray, and replace the TotalMixFX.exe file in the Windows/System32 folder, from the one installed by fw_win_3044 driver set, to the one in the tmfx_win_094_6 download. I restarted the PC, connected UFX, but the TotalMixFX window doesn't show up. TM FX appears to be running fine because it shows the menu "Workspace Quick Select" and "New Tool Mix Window" from right click. But in the Function select window, it doesn't show Initial Device. I rolled back the driver to 3034 in another machine which gave me the same problem, and then TM FX crashed. That's certainly understandable, but not showing TM FX window is not good any way.

I guess I have a problem in device recognition by TM FX.

Hope this issue is resolved in some way.

Try uninstalling and deleting files, then reinstall and before you do, replace the TMFX file in the installation folder with the new one.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

> I updated driver from the device manager, using the driver set fx_win_3044. I did exit the TM FX from the icon tray, and replace the TotalMixFX.exe file in the Windows/System32 folder, from the one installed by fw_win_3044 driver set, to the one in the tmfx_win_094_6 download. I restarted the PC, connected UFX,

There are is something wrong here. After driver installation you have to restart the computer, and NOT disconnect the UFX in between. What is that good for? Then after reboot you can exit TM FX and replace it with the new version, and start that new version even without further reboot.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by Masaaki 2011-05-18 08:34:44)

Oh, I had UFX connected, and TM FX didn't recognize the UFX at reboot.
Then, I thought I reboot again, and connected UFX. Still the same thing.

No matter what, USB connection is not working, but you think that's because I disconnected the unit?

By the way, firewire connection seems working fine. TM FX shows the mixer window as soon as I reboot, while the UFX (powered on) is connected.

RME Support wrote:

Try uninstalling and deleting files, then reinstall and before you do, replace the TMFX file in the installation folder with the new one.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Okay, I can uninstall the driver, but which files I'm supposed to delete? Do I need to go to regedit (which I can do)? Also, what is the "installation folder"? Do you mean the folder that's extracted from the zip file?

Just FYI, the UFX is reconinized as "Fireface UFX (23209038)" in the tray icon, where the removable devices are listed and ejected/removed for safe disconnection. But clicking on the TM FX (the up/down arrow grey icon) doesn't do anything. From the TMFX icon, right click, New ToolMix window, Initial Device is empty.

If I connect UFX via firewire, I see the UFX in the Initial Device window.

USB connection was working before I installed the USB direct recording pre release firmware/drivers.
That's why I want to roll back the firmware, at least in a working condition with both USB and firewire.
I need that capability to connect the UFX with several machines, some of which don't have firewire.

As far as I see you never told us which USB driver you use. And if you happen to have both cables (FW and USB) connected at the same time. That will screw things up.

Apart from that you can flash back to an older firmware any time.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

As far as I see you never told us which USB driver you use.

I mentioned I installed the driver set in fw_win_3044, but do I need to provide more information, like driver version number? Where can I find it?

MC wrote:

And if you happen to have both cables (FW and USB) connected at the same time. That will screw things up.

I don't do that. I just connect either one, and FW works, USB doesn't.
But the manual says when FW and USB cables are both connected, USB takes priority, right? So, what is actually "screwed up"? Please clarify.

MC wrote:

Apart from that you can flash back to an older firmware any time.

That's what I'm asking, how to do it. Does the flash tool replace the newer firmware with older firmware?

3044 is the FireWire driver.

Yes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I think I'm getting there.
I believe I uninstalled old drivers of both USB and Firewire, and installed only firewire driver, after updating the firmware.
I'm writing everything down from the driver properties, and I'm feeling better I'm grasping how this unit is operated by dual drivers.
So, yes, thank you, if I can't figure out myself, then come back.

forgot to ask one thing:

What is the USB driver number that should work with the USB direct recording?

v0979 http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10945

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

15 (edited by Masaaki 2011-05-19 04:31:51)

All right...0979...that is.
I was in a rush to install all these updates, and somehow omitted the usb driver. sorry for making noise.
Thank you so much for your quick help!

okay...finally, it's working both USB and Firewire! Now, I can start testing USB direct recording.