Topic: babyface extension cable causing hum on analog inputs

hi, 

i've recently discovered a hum in my analog inputs on my babyface.  it happens if i'm using the breakout extension cable with a midi cable attatched to the midi in.  the hum rises to unacceptable recording levels as the gain is increased for mic recording.   remove the extension cable and the hum disappears.  the hum is also not present if the midi in is not connected. 

already replaced the extension cable and found the same problem.  also, the same thing happens whether using an imac or a macbook not plugged into the wall.  also tried using other midi cables. 

i'd really just like to know if anyone else is experiencing this exact thing before i go through the trouble of sending this in for bench testing.

other than this strange problem, really love this unit so far.

best,
matt

Re: babyface extension cable causing hum on analog inputs

I'm experiencing exactly the same. Did you resolve it?

Regards
/Jonas

Sounds like the extension cable might not be shielded adequately?  Can RME elaborate on any other possible causes?

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Randyman... wrote:

Sounds like the extension cable might not be shielded adequately?  Can RME elaborate on any other possible causes?

cool

I did get a reply from them suggesting I should exchange the cable, but then I saw that the OP in this thread exchanged the cable, but still experienced hum. It might have been bad luck of course, getting two bad cables in a row. But I thought I'd check how things turned out for him before I exchange my own cable.

/Jonas

There is a new cable that reliably gets rid of the hum from this specific case and situation. If it was exchanged with no change than it was an old version cable again. The exchange should be done by the distributor in this case, the dealers might no be aware of the case.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

There is a new cable that reliably gets rid of the hum from this specific case and situation. If it was exchanged with no change than it was an old version cable again. The exchange should be done by the distributor in this case, the dealers might no be aware of the case.

OK, thanks for clearing that up!

Is there any visual way to distinguish a new cable from an old? Is the article number different?
And are there two versions of the 3 m cable too, or would any version of it be fine?

Regards
/Jonas

Just a follow up: I got myself the 3 m extension cable (I wanted that anyway) and the hum is gone.

/Jonas