Topic: About face

Hello everybody. I am more than likely to be a new RME user. I am asking for advice on deciding on which interface would be most appropriate for my setup. I am looking at the Fireface UC, or Babyface as  options. I have been reading a lot of information on the two units, but I am still indecisive.

I do not need more than two inputs total at any given time as I would only be recording a hardware synth every once and a while. The rest of the time I would be recording vocals, while the rest of my recording is done ITB. Is there any reason why I should pick the UC instead of the Babyface for my needs?

Thank you for your time and attention.

Re: About face

If you don't need the extra I/O provided by the Fireface UC, then it would seem the Babyface is a better choice.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hi Jeff, thank you for your response. I think the Babyface would probably be the better choice since it has enough I/O for my needs, also portability is very nice to have, but one thing I recently noticed is that I would not be able to run any outboard gear that has coaxial spdif into the Babyface. Is this true? I see it has adat/spdif though. Would there be some type of adat to coaxial spdif connector that I could purchase for this to work?

Thank you.

Sure, these products exist, search for "coaxial to optical converter" or "optical to coaxial converter".

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff, thanks for taking time to ask what are probably very basic questions. I really appreciate it my friend. I plan on picking up the Babyface probably next week. I am excited, and look forward to owning such a highly regarded interface.

Thanks again!