Topic: using 6pin to 4pin IEE 1394 to S400 adapter

Hello,

I'm dealing with a fresh install on a one year-old Sony Vao laptop which should be powerful enough to run an RME FF800 on the most updated version of Cubase SX3.  I ran DPC checker and according to it I should not have latency problems. 

Sony Vaio intel i3 2.14 GHz 4GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit
Cubase SX3.1

I have installed the RME drivers and the flash firmware update to 2.77

The levels in the Fireface Mixer flash and blink when I open it.  The Fireface Settings tends not to open when I click on the icon, except on the occasion of rebooting the system.

When I open Cubase I get two recurring error messages:

Asio MultiMedia Driver
Device: ADAT 2 (7+8) RME 800
ERROR CODE FE8-D-0013
Communication with the audio card has been lost.  Click Reset in options or restart Cubase or Windows.

Asio MultiMedia Driver
Device: Analog (9 + 10) RME 800
ERROR CODE FE7-D-0013
Communication with the audio card has been lost.  Click Reset in options or restart Cubase or Windows.

Sometimes I can switch the driver in Cubase device setup from ASIO Multimedia driver to the ASIO Fireface driver without getting these errors.
Other times, making the switch is what causes them.  In any case the number one culprit is that I am using an adapter cord to go from a 6-pin firewire 400 IEEE 1394b (plugged into the FW400 port on the FF800) to the laptop's 4-pin S400 port.

Please let me know if there is a solution to this problem.

Re: using 6pin to 4pin IEE 1394 to S400 adapter

It may help to get a 4-pin to 6-pin cable instead of using the adapter. Also, see here:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9827

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Re: using 6pin to 4pin IEE 1394 to S400 adapter

For the record.

I got my soundcard working only by using the old RME driver that came on a disc with the soundcard.

However, first I installed the legacy driver for the S400 port.  This on its own did not fix the problem.

I may try to reinstall the more up to date driver now.  Thanks for your help.