Topic: Confused about how to record digitally.

How far have I presently got.

1. Installed USB drivers and totalmix successfully.
2. After plugging in my condenser microphone and turning on phantom power through totalmix I can view my hardware input in mic 9/10.
3. I can also monitor the output by Phono 9/10. Plus viewing my output in in the 'control room' section.
4. I also installed Reaper DAW software but it does not appear to be picking up any signal from total mix.

As you have probably surmised I'm not particularly savvy with computers. I would like to record my signal digitally could someone please explain how I could do this?

Thanks

Re: Confused about how to record digitally.

Everything is fine with the audio interface, you just need to set up Reaper to use the RME, and activate all channels you want to use, then select the proper input channel for the track.

http://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

Everything is fine with the audio interface, you just need to set up Reaper to use the RME, and activate all channels you want to use, then select the proper input channel for the track.

http://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. Is there anything else I have to do on the part of Total mix like activating the usb output in the hardware output section? I will read up on the reaper manual.

TotalMix actually has nothing to do with the audio for recording (only monitoring).

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

TotalMix actually has nothing to do with the audio for recording (only monitoring).

Once I have setup reaper correctly should I be able to monitor the output on PH 9/10 in the software playback section?

Yes.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

Yes.

Ok, I've tried every option in Reaper under Options>Preferences>Devices. ASIO, direct sound etc. I have tried selecting the input as PH 9/10 I have also tried selecting a whole range of inputs but Reaper can't appear to see a signal.

I also have nothing in the software playback section of Totalmix.

winniepooh wrote:

Ok, I've tried every option in Reaper under Options>Preferences>Devices. ASIO, direct sound etc. I have tried selecting the input as PH 9/10

Not sure what that means... PH is the phones output, not the mic input. You would need to selcet input channels for recording.

I have also tried selecting a whole range of inputs but Reaper can't appear to see a signal.

If there is an input signal in Totalmix, Reaper must be able to pick up this signal.

I also have nothing in the software playback section of Totalmix.

You are trying to record, not play back now, right? Therefore this is not relevant for now...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

In total mix my Assign>mainout> PH 9/10. There is no main out B. 

I have searched for a mic input option in reaper but my only input options are AES, analog and ADAT.

The Mic inputs are analog. Make sure you have enables these in Reaper, then simply assign track to use this channel.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Which option do I use out of ASIO, direct sound etc?

ASIO, then ASIO Fireface USB. Make sure you enable all channel by selecting First and Last in this page.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks, I managed to record a track. I was searching for mic inputs instead of Analog. I'm still getting to grips with the software playback section. What would this allow me to do? Thanks Gareth

winniepooh wrote:

Thanks, I managed to record a track. I was searching for mic inputs instead of Analog. I'm still getting to grips with the software playback section. What would this allow me to do? Thanks Gareth

Please search youtube for totalmix videos. Also explained in the manual.

Isaac P

I'm still getting to grips with the software playback section. What would this allow me to do?

The software playbacks contains all outputs which are available in the system for multitrack audio programs. Any of this software "channels" can be routed to all real hardware outputs of the card.

Example: A drum track on software output 1/2 from Reaper can be routed to the analog output 1/2 - which is connected to the monitors. It can be also routed to the phones output. Both can have a different send level. This way the headphone mix can get a higher drum level to give the vocalist a better rythm signal. At the same time a synth on software output 3/4 can have a lower level in the headphone mix. This flexibility to build any mix is only possible with separated software and hardware outputs.

best regards
Knut

Admin Knut wrote:

I'm still getting to grips with the software playback section. What would this allow me to do?

The software playbacks contains all outputs which are available in the system for multitrack audio programs. Any of this software "channels" can be routed to all real hardware outputs of the card.

Example: A drum track on software output 1/2 from Reaper can be routed to the analog output 1/2 - which is connected to the monitors. It can be also routed to the phones output. Both can have a different send level. This way the headphone mix can get a higher drum level to give the vocalist a better rythm signal. At the same time a synth on software output 3/4 can have a lower level in the headphone mix. This flexibility to build any mix is only possible with separated software and hardware outputs.

best regards
Knut

Thank you for the example.