Topic: HDSPe AES 32 mute vs AES signal

Do muted outputs send AES 'black' / zero signal, or when muted is there no signal on that channel's physical output? My Genelec monitors have both AES and analog inputs, I'd like to use the analog inputs for a particular need (already in analog, don't have 3 spare A/D channels, don't want to buy more converter channels). However, if an AES signal is on their AES wire, they use that input preferentially.

So, is there a signal on an output if muted? If so, is there a mechanism to 'disable' an output on the card?

Thanks
Rob

Re: HDSPe AES 32 mute vs AES signal

The signal is muted, the outputs remain active. No way to switch the speakers manually?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by heycarnut 2011-05-24 09:59:01)

Re: HDSPe AES 32 mute vs AES signal

RME Support wrote:

The signal is muted, the outputs remain active. No way to switch the speakers manually?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the ridiculously fast reply. That added points to my decision - 2 x aes 32 cards just purchased!

Thanks for making me think about this - the monitor manual explicitly states valid AES takes precedence over analog. There is no switch on the physical monitor. However, re-reading the GLM (monitor network control software) manual, it says the same *but* when operating on the net, you can switch inputs. You saved me getting an AES router as a signal sink. Well done.

Thx,
Rob