Topic: 9652 Firmware update

Firstly, I would like to say that after using several ADAT equipped cards of various brands, RME are the most solid interfaces I have used to date!
My concern is that I want fit a pci HDSP 9652 rev 1.3 and upgrade the firmware/driver, but after reading the doc's on said updates it says that the flash will fail and could damage the bios on pre 1.8 rev's! Do you think it would be worth updating, as my system is ancient (don't laugh, athlon 3000+chip, 2g ddr 400, radeon 9800xt, k8s8x mobo running xp pro sp3) but with a stripped down OS and still rapid (probably because it's never been online!). I was previously using a digi 96/8 pst without any issues. Basically I dont want to fit the 52 and then render it useless if the firmware fails. Has anyone had this happen to their 52?

Thanks in advance.

Re: 9652 Firmware update

This does not apply to the HDSP 9652.

However, some older cards may be unstable with latest firmware, which would also require a small modification. Please let me know the card's serial number.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by S122LE 2011-05-26 19:08:39)

Hi Daniel.
Thanks for the swift reply! 22224568??
When you say "this does  not apply to the hdsp 9652", what do you mean exactly? The update/driver or the revision?
Sorry if I sound a bit gormless! hmm Just dont wanna to break my new toy!
Also will I need to remove the 96/8 pst and it's driver?

4 (edited by S122LE 2011-05-27 16:54:55)

I know you guys are busy busy but really need to get this card up and running asap.
Is the hdsp 9652 s/n 22224568 compatible with the latest updates without modding? If not, what does the mod entail or what's the latest firmware I should use to to prevent the need for modifying?
Will I need to remove the 96/8 pst driver?
Soon I will be moving to a new pc running win 7 so I need to know the latest updates are going to work.
System upgrades are a pain! I went with RME because I was getting sync issues using Marian and Motu interfaces. Can't be doing with all that hassle again as it's pretty embarrassing when you can't even record a simple guitar and vocal!  ed:

Thanks again,
Adam.

Revision 1.3 had communication problems on the PCI bus when using newer firmwares. They put a stronger load on the FPGA, which then caused hickups in PCI transfer. In 2011 'newer' is no longer the correct word, now it is even older ones. Also since about 3 generations of chipsets/motherboards back the PCI bus has become more sensitive for this effect. In older computers the card just works.

Typical signs are constantly red Over LEDs in TotalMix input when using the card with at least 8 ADAT channels. In heavy cases this might then lead to a halt (BSOD).

Daniel just wants to make sure that your card is really 1.3. Maybe the mod inf was overlooked or just fell of (sticker with 1.5, green or orange dots). But he wil not get this info before monday, it seems.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I will indeed.... Can't access it directly, need to ask the factory.
Feel free to send an email reminder...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ok no probs guys. Thanks for your dedication! It has a round orange sticker on the soldered side if that helps?
I will plug it in and use it's load state firmware for now and an early driver. Who knows, it might just be a late revision after all!?
I'll report back...

Many more thanks!
Adam

If there is a sticker, it might indeed be... Don't recall what orange means offhand... MC might chime in.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

S122LE wrote:

When you say "this does  not apply to the hdsp 9652", what do you mean exactly?

The risk of damage due to a failed flash update.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Revision 1.3 had communication problems on the PCI bus when using newer firmwares. They put a stronger load on the FPGA, which then caused hickups in PCI transfer. In 2011 'newer' is no longer the correct word, now it is even older ones. Also since about 3 generations of chipsets/motherboards back the PCI bus has become more sensitive for this effect. In older computers the card just works.

Typical signs are constantly red Over LEDs in TotalMix input when using the card with at least 8 ADAT channels. In heavy cases this might then lead to a halt (BSOD).

Daniel just wants to make sure that your card is really 1.3. Maybe the mod inf was overlooked or just fell of (sticker with 1.5, green or orange dots). But he wil not get this info before monday, it seems.

I have been running cubase 5 and reason 4 (reporting 2ms ASIO) for a few days with driver version 2.831 with no prob's, in fact I can safely say that it has a noticeable improvement (over the digi 96/8) in audio fidelity as well as the brilliant software mixer and digicheck! Global record is a godsend!! cool
Could still do with the bios/firmware rev' from you guys if possible, s/n 22224568. Orange dot. Thought I could find this info' on my system but to no avail.

Cheers,
Adam.