Topic: Has my UFX been damaged?

Hi,

My preamp was connected to the AES input of the RME fireface. Is there anyway of telling without an AES connection whether the port has been damaged? Thanks

Re: Has my UFX been damaged?

Assuming you connected an analog XLR line signal to the AES input, there is no risk of damage.
And you can alway loop a cable from AES out to in to check...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Assuming you connected an analog XLR line signal to the AES input, there is no risk of damage.
And you can alway loop a cable from AES out to in to check...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I did connect an analog XLR line. If a cable went from AES out to in what signal would be transmitted to the in?

winniepooh wrote:

I did connect an analog XLR line.

No problem... Now if you had applied 48 V to the AES output, who knows... :roll

If a cable went from AES out to in what signal would be transmitted to the in?

Whatever you send to AES out... But it's enough to see the input syncs... (Clock mode internal).

Regards
Daniel FUchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:
winniepooh wrote:

I did connect an analog XLR line.

No problem... Now if you had applied 48 V to the AES output, who knows... :roll

If a cable went from AES out to in what signal would be transmitted to the in?

Whatever you send to AES out... But it's enough to see the input syncs... (Clock mode internal).

Regards
Daniel FUchs
RME

I did apply a 48 V signal how can I tell if the input syncs? Clock mode internal?

I am getting an internal clock reading from the AES so all can't be broken but I think my sound quality of my preamp recordings has detrioated. How to I upload soundclips?

Are you referring to the UFX preamps? I don't see how there could be any deterioration.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Are you referring to the UFX preamps? I don't see how there could be any deterioration.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

There appears to be more background noise in my recordings

I don't see how... Anyhow, I am still not clear what exactly you connected where.... Why (and how) would you connect a preamp's input to AES? Or is this an external preamp, and an XLR line output? Please be specific.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I connected my condenser microphone to mic/line 9 via an XLR cable.

And what does this have to do with AES?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Could the 48 V to the AES input caused something to happen to the circuitry of the UFX?

I still don't know how and what you connected? How could 48V get to an AES input (which is XLR female)? You are not providing details here...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I connected my microphone to my preamp which had 48V phantom power I then connected the mic out cable from the preamp to the AES of the UFX by mistake.

I assume this is an external preamp... Right? So there is no "mic out" cable, but maybe a line out cable, which of course does not carry 48V. So no risk of damage to the UFX and no reason why an external preamp should become noisy...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I think you're right. I was very worried that I had damaged my beautiful UFX that I may have been hearing noise in my recordings from today.

48V on the AES output would - if at all - destroy the AES output. IMHO this will not happen because the AES out is transformer-coupled and has very low impedance, so the 48V breaks down to an insignificant level.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I think I was originally more concerned about the gain from the valve preamp.

There is no way that connecting exteranl preamp's line out to AES In could have done any damage to either device. There is no 48V involved anywhere.

The only thing you could have done for that would have been to connect the preamp's mic input to AES out, in which case, MC's comment would apply.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME