1 (edited by Zavieri 2011-05-31 12:55:29)

Topic: AES/EBU to spdif cable recomendation. FF UFX

I bought two 5m 110ohm AES/EBU cables and made two (10cm cable) xlr to chinch adapters according  to the FF UFX manual. I use them with TC Helicon Voice Live 2, but I get drop outs quite often @44.1KHz, @96k they occur less frequently. I have checked that the TC gets a clean signal, and analog output from it does not contain artefacts. I have also connected VL2 to a TC Konnect Live using 75ohm 3m spdif cables and everything is fine both 44.1k and 96k.

Any recommendations on interconnecting AES interface on FF UFX to Spdif? Max cable lenght? Best XLR/Chinch plugs?
Is a AES/Spdif converter needed for distances like 5-10m?

Fireface-UFX, Mac OSX 10.6, Logic 9, BCF2000, AC-7 user, vocalist, live sound recording

Re: AES/EBU to spdif cable recomendation. FF UFX

Update: the digital clicks occour @44.1k and @48k,
@32,96,192 it is flawless
The sync source is internal. I don't get it...

Fireface-UFX, Mac OSX 10.6, Logic 9, BCF2000, AC-7 user, vocalist, live sound recording

You did not say clearly where the problem shows up. In case of the UFX input you could try to bridge pins 1 and 3 of the XLR input. This connects the ground of the TC's SPDIF output (using the adapter as described in the manual) with the ground of the UFX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

@44.1k and @48k the signal @AES input is full of digital clicks.
Like I posted earlier, I made the cables according to the UFX manual, and they certainly work because there are no clicks @32,96,192k
And there shouldn't be any problems with the TC Helicon Voice Live 2 because it's working flawlessly with TC Electronic Konnect Live over spdif @44,48,96k

You miss my point. If the input voltage is on the edge then it will work at one sample rate, but might fail at another. Connecting the ground might improve the situation just the little bit that is necessary for working without clicks.

But that is only an idea. Maybe the clicks are not generated at the UFX input. What does the Settings dialog say - 'Sync' all time?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The sync is on when no signal is applied, when output is generated on VL2 the sync is set to locked then sync is lost.

I connected the TC Konnekt with the cables and the signal is full of clicks @all clocks, so it seems that it's the cables fault.
What is the recomended max distance for aes to spdif cable? If I want to get 10m both ways I will surely need a aes to spdif adapter, any recommendations (cheapest as possible up to 96k)?