Topic: Tweaks for low buffer size HDSPe AIO

Hello, my first post :-)
Just purchased a HDSPe AIO with the in and out expansions, everything is up and running with the latest drivers but i'm struggling with the buffer size settings for ASIO.
Did some searching on the forum and saw there's tweaking to be done, my pc running Windows 7 64bit is dedicated to music production only, no inet on it even and all the necessary Windows tweaks are already done. The lowest buffer setting i can go without cracks, pops and dropouts is 512, should go lower right?
Is there a list of things to do to get the best performance out of my AIO?

Thanks in advance, here are the specs of my system:

Processor: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 G0
Mobo: Asus P5B (Latest Bios)
RAM: 8GB Kingston
Graphic: Asus NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit

2 (edited by Rizzle 2011-06-04 09:48:32)

Re: Tweaks for low buffer size HDSPe AIO

No one who can help?
I did the DPC check, nothing showing. The card is in the best possible slot, it's sharing IRQ 17 with Intel(R) ICH8 Family PCI Express Root Port 2 - 2841. There was a USB port on the IRQ aswell but i've disabled it.
So is my system too weak for a lower buffersize then 512? Is this mobo known for causing issues?
I would really appriciate some help :-)

This may not be to encouraging but, a Q6600 is not ideal to run win7 (32 and 64 bit) From the testing we have done at dawbench.com it was noted that older processors don´t run win7 as well as later cpu´s. The latest generations of core duo´s like the q9550 seem ok but older not so. Best result with win7 are had with core i7 etc.
So two solutions, run XP (or XP64 like I do) or get a newer computer. Your motherboard P5B is to old to run a Q9550 and it would be throwing money at an older system. My advice would be XP64 and maybe some mild overclocking. A Q6600 can do 3 a 3.2 ghz at it stock Vcore.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Ok, yeah i know it's not ideal but my system is running pretty smooth and it still does the job for me. Going back to XP is not an option because of the RAM limitations and i'm a noob to overclocking so i'm not even gonna try that. Guess it's time to save up for a new system then...

Thanks Vincent

5 (edited by vinark 2011-06-05 09:34:13)

XP64 has no ram limitations:-) and it´s indeed just the low latency performance that isn´t great on win7 with older cpu´s. at 512 it should be running great. (but I also have a secondary q6600 system and that runs at 128 easily with XP64 and not even rme)

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

XP64 is a nightmare for music production, so many bad story's. I'm switching between Ableton and Cubase 6 as sequencers but XP isn't supported anymore for Cubase 6, it could work but it's a straight up hassle :-)
Best is to make this work while saving up for i7 Westmere system, is there a list of mobo's that are tested and approved to function with my AIO?