Topic: Loss of audio, and strange settings

I am having some strange problems with an HDSPe AIO card.

My system is an intel i5 windows7 64 bit and an SSD. I use it for stereo music playback (including analogue outputs from an expansion card) into my hifi system.

I have the latest driver (3.24)  & firmware (it shows Rev. 12).

Very often (almost always on  a restart, and frequently while playing music) I lose audio. When this happens, the settings show a sample rate of 32000Hz (I cannot change this, it appears to change then reverts back to 32000). Input status (of ADAT, AES, SPDIF etc) shows as 'Sync'.

Sometimes shutting down then starting the PC fixes it, and sometimes I need to  uninstall the card, then restart.

When working ok, the settings show a sample rate of 44100Hz, and the input staus (of ADAT, AES, SPDIF etc) shows as 'No Lock'. In all cases the Clock Source shows as 'Internal'.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Regards,

Alan

Re: Loss of audio, and strange settings

And I also noticed that when in this state, if I click on Settings\About, the dialogue box hangs, it is impossible to close it, or end the process, so I have to resart the PC to stop it hanging. Someone else mentioned this problem I think, and I saw that was with an Intel  Sandy Bridge board, same as mine.

Regards,

Alan

Ok - fixed the problem but RME guys may want to look at this.

This was a new system, built for the RME card, so no old software etc cluttering things up. I got it working by reinstalling Windows 7, but moving to 32 bit instead of 64 bit. All else the same, same intel drivers (a couple were specific to 64 or 32 bit, but most were generic), then subsequently the same Windows upgrades (to SP1). As near as I can tell the HDSPe card works with Windows 7 32 bit but not Windows 7 64 bit, on my Intel 6 series Sandy Bridge board.

Regards,

Alan

4 (edited by mtech 2012-10-21 13:49:24)

I have the Same Problem, I built a DAW for a friend of mine Windows 7 x 64,  i7 3770K, 32Gb RAM, RAID AUDIO and Sample Drives on Intel DH77KC Board. All was well then it started refusing to shut down, I then brought it back (4 Hour Drive) and he wanted to add some more drive Space and an SSD to boot from.

Since the addition of the SSD and another 3 Tb WD Archive drive, and reloading Windows 7 x64 a further 3 times it still either jumps out of sync and won't playback through the RME mixer at all and keeps dropping sync with the Mixer, I then try slaving the Mixer to the AIO it locks on at 44.1 and then the AIO jumps back to 32khz irrespective of whatever sample rate you choose. We are using AES/EBU to a Yamaha 01V96. It does exactly the same with SP/DIF. I Suspect it's an HDMI issue but I don't have HDMI here in my office. That's the only difference between his studio and mine and the new SSD Plextor Boot drive. Most frustrating. Either that or it's an RME failure.

I have disabled all the onboard sounds and even given the Windows System a cheap Audio device to play with to keep it out of the way of the AIO.

Changing back to 32 Bit is out of the question for this Machine (32Gb RAM)

EDIT: SOLVED: FINALLY

RME Support wrote:

How excatly did you install?

Also, as mentioned on the phone, please check and disable PCIe related power saving features like ASPM in the BIOS.

I think you need to make this setting part of the Sticky on the "Installing under Windows 7" Sticky. It could have save me a 900km of travelling to the client and back not to mention a wasted weekend and three rebuilds back here.

This ASPM setting is so small and insignificant in some of the new UEFI BIOS'es and Windows screws with it in the power settings as well.

Well at least I found the problem.

5 (edited by mtech 2012-10-21 13:48:25)

Just an update to my problem. I pulled the AIO out of the Intel DH77KC board and put it into a Gigabyte New PC (i5) with no UADs and it ran perfectly. No Hanging, all the AES/ADAT/SP/DIFs work.

This machine is so tightly packed to rebuild it with the other new Board is a huge undertaking. Why would it work for one day and then stop?

Anyone have any suggestions? Seems there's a lot of devices on IRQ 10 but no conflicts and everything else works faultlessly. Could the SSD and i7 3770K be a factor??

The Other machine had an i5 and no SSD and no UAD's No RAID, so many different things.

EDIT: SOLVED-FINALLY

RME Support wrote:

How excatly did you install?

Also, as mentioned on the phone, please check and disable PCIe related power saving features like ASPM in the BIOS.

I think you need to make this setting part of the Sticky on the "Installing under Windows 7" Sticky. It could have save me a 900km of travelling to the client and back not to mention a wasted weekend and three rebuilds back here.

This ASPM setting is so small and insignificant in some of the new UEFI BIOS'es and Windows screws with it in the power settings as well.

Well at least I found the problem.