1 (edited by thisportrait 2011-06-07 07:11:29)

Topic: Multiface > Level jumper settings

Hi list,

I have a question regarding setting the +4/-10 level jumpers 'correctly' (modestly proud owner of a Multiface I).

My synths output at +15dBu maximum (yet the master volume is set to match the aux outs level, which is +10 dBu max). My question is: With this information alone, should the Multiface be set to +4, -10 or Lo/Hi Gain? Been working at +4 for some time now, and noticed that the incoming signal would be relatively quiet and yet clip very easily.

I experimented with all three settings, and found out that:

a) Lo/Hi Gain gives the quietest signal, but with a lot of headroom;
b) +4 dBu is as mentioned above;
c) -10dBV gives a hot, clipping signal that requires lowering the synths' master volume.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Multiface > Level jumper settings

The Lo-Gain setting will yield +19dBu=0dBfs - meaning you won't be able to reach digital full-scale (0dBfs).  The Normal/+4 setting will yield +13dBu = 0dBfs.  I'd probably lean towards the High Gain to eliminate digital overs, but the Normal/+4 setting is probably close to optimal as long as you watch the analog levels coming out of your synths.

When in doubt - use your ears!  Some analog output stages sound better at certain levels - that's the beauty of the adjustable reference levels on most RME gear...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Re: Multiface > Level jumper settings

Cool, thanks a bunch for that. Been using Lo Gain for the input signal, and my ears tell me that sounds are no longer fighting for space in the mix.