1 (edited by Hanni 2011-06-19 09:53:18)

Topic: Four-days recording session with the UFX

Hi there,
I just come from a four-days recording session with my new Fireface UFX and a HP Elitebook 8740W. It has been working error free and perfect! 18 microphons (ATAT and AES) and 44.1kHz / 24bit recording, via USB. The TotalMixFX did work perfect, too.

There is just one little thing I want to be improved: If the CUE button is pressed on one output fader bank, this is almost not to be seen on the screen. There is some kind of green shimmer on the button, that's it. My monitors are fine, and the resolution too. There should be a bright yellow tag on that CUE button if it is selected. This would help to avoid miss-mixings at 3 o clock in the morning after a long recording day... There should also be more contrast on the selected output faderbank.

Anyway: a great unit!
Johannes

Re: Four-days recording session with the UFX

I agree. It is a small issue, but ideally I would like the cue button to be more obviously different color.

Hello Hanni,

Thanks for the feedback. I just got my UFX today! Did you record direct to USB, or running a DAW? Do you mind telling us what DAW it was, or else, what USB HDD did you record to?

Thanks so much!

Ludwig

Music Producer / Sound Engineer. RME HDSP 9652 / RME UFX

Hi Ludwig
this was a DAW session, not a USB drect cecording. I use the SONAR PRODUCER sequencer on a HP elite power book 8740W (quad core with eight processors and 8GB ram, Windows 7). Probably, recording a complete rock band with overdubs and DI tracks and all the things wouldn't be that comfortable using the direct recording. You need to see the tracks to set the loops and the punch points and so on. The USB direct recording in this case would be for backup use only. My backup was made on a external VERBATIM RAID 1 DISC with 2 x 500GB via ESATA, directly connected to the elite power book (RAID 1 = double disc mode, mirroring all the files onto two disks. I use two MOTU interfaces (1 x MOTU 896HD, 1 x MOTU 896 MK-II, in ADAT stand-alone mode, one focusrite Saffire pro, and MIC preamps from SPL and ART, clock synchronizer MUTEC MC7, and two ASV BUS lines from ALBERT converting the ATAT light pipes to a BUS (CAT5 cable).
Thats it.
Johannes

Hi Johannes, thanks for the reply and excellent explanation. I assumed you were tracking a concert - got it now. I run Sonar X1B PE myself - great DAW.

Music Producer / Sound Engineer. RME HDSP 9652 / RME UFX