Topic: Fireface UC -- how to gang the preamp gain controls on the knob?

Hi there, I recently bought a new FF UC, which has been absolutely great.  Just wanted to ask how I can control both preamps at the same time from the FF knob?  It would be extremely useful for 'fader riding' stereo recordings.  I 've tried holding down the knob but it doesn't seem to work for gang mode...

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

Re: Fireface UC -- how to gang the preamp gain controls on the knob?

This feature is not available in the UC and FF 400.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Would it be possible to make this a feature?  It would certainly be really useful.  Also the manual does claim that it's possible in the chapter on "Stand-Alone Operation, Connections and TotalMix" when it says:

"Stereo Mode
Pushing the knob for more than a second activates the Link mode.  The display will show off or on.  In stereo mode, the display only presents the left channels of a stereo pair.  The gain and volume setting is then valid for both channels."

Eastwood Records

Sorry, no. And the manual does not mention the mic input with that function, does it?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by El Duderino 2011-06-26 17:53:30)

Also ganz ehrlich. Technische Gründe kann es dafür ja nicht geben, da bis auf die ersten vier Eingänge alles gelinkt ist und dieser Encoder, nun, auch nur ein Encoder ist. TotalmixFx wiederum kann ja auch gleichzeitig beide Gains verändern. Also warum nun dieses kleine fehlende Feature, was für uns im Moment auch sehr nervend ist*, nicht realisieren? Ist ja nun nicht so, dass der Knopf plötzlich auf magische Weise das UC dem UFX um Welten näherrückt. :-)

* Wir verwenden das UC als Preamp und Wandler für ein Stereomikrofon. Aufnahmegerät ist ein Fieldrecorder. Das ganze läuft autark mit Bleigelakku und ist so wesentlich schneller, bequemer und wirklich leiser als die Laptopvariante. Nur das Auspegeln ist sehr umständlich...

Mit besten Grüßen
El Duderino

I'm really sorry but my German's just not good enough to read that -- can you post in English please?!

Eastwood Records

El Duderino just tried to make a point for you. wink

I just wanted to make clear that the lack of this feature can't have a technical reason and is for my understanding of the topic not comprehensible because when you adjust the headphones for example the two channels are linked...

9 (edited by mjfe87 2011-06-26 18:08:08)

I agree -- it seems like they could easily implement it via a software update.  It would be really useful during a stereo recording of a concert, say, wheew there's an orchestral climax and you can tell it's going to peak -- so you want to ride the gain knob subtly by a couple of dB without upsetting the stereo image.  Please consider introducing this, RME!

Also, why can we not turn phantom power on/off on the Fireface itself?  The whole point of 'stand alone operation' as advertised in the manual is that you don't need to bring along your laptop as well.

Eastwood Records