Topic: FF 400 no longer detected on Mac

Hi everybody,

my FF400 was working problem-free (driver vrs.262a) with my Intel iMac (purchased June 2010), until a couple of days ago. I wanted to update the driver (from vrs.262a to vrs.275 and later to the newest vrs. 292) and therefore first uninstalled previous driver by removing (trashing) the following:

/Applications/Fireface Mixer
/Applications/Fireface Settings
/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/Fireface MIDI.plugin /System/Library/Extensions/FirefaceAudioDriver.kext
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/Fireface folder /Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.rme.FirefaceMixer.plist
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.rme.FirefaceSettings.plist
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.rme.firefaceAgent.plist 

Again, my FF400 was working problem-free for a year with driver vrs.262a –without- me having to use its power supply. For this connection I have been using a Firewire adaptor (9 to 6 pin) attached to a 6 pin Firewire 400 normal cable which was then plugged to the right Firewire 400 input of the FF400 (the second on the right of the Fireface’s power switch that is – this is where it was working fine for a year now). After updating the driver by installing vrs. 275 the red light (host) remains always on and the Fireface mixer and settings are not functioning.

At first I thought that the 9 to 6 pin Fireface adapter was faulty, so I got a new 9 to 6 pin Firewire cable and tried the connection again without an adapter. Unfortunately the problem persists. My Fireface 400 cannot connect to my iMac and the “host” light remains red. I have tried to connect to both Firewire 400 inputs of the Fireface 400, no luck. I have also tried to connect the power supply of the Fireface 400 then connect to the iMac. No luck again, nothing worked. This is when I looked at the RME Forum and read several posts, like i.e.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4986
or
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=974     

where it became obvious that there is a hardware issue with the FW controller/chip from Agere for -some- iMacs.

BUT, as this has never been an issue for my iMac and my FF400 was working problem-free for a year this cannot be the case. Therefore those FW800 hubs and Lacie external H/D workarounds mentioned in the forum’s posts do not apply as my FF400 was working. The problem should be somewhere else. I suspect it could be S/W orientated. Am I missing something?     

I have send a support inquiry to RME and got this reply:

"Hello, after updating the driver, did you also update the unit's firmware?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME"

Does anybody know how am I supposed to update FF400's firmware when my iMac does not "see" it at all? When I try to update the firmware, it tells me that there is no Fireface device or driver installed.

What I did is (again) uninstalling the driver vrsn. 275 (by removing/trashing the files at locations listed above) and installed previous vrsn. 262a (where everything was working fine before). Unfortunately, no luck. Red light on, no FF400 communication with my iMac. I’m installing every driver “by the book” (Read Me’s & User’s guide) so what’s happening here doesn’t make any sense.

I would be grateful for a solution reply while waiting for RME's support reply on this issue.   

My iMac system:

Mac OS X 10.06.7
Model Name:    iMac
Model Identifier:    iMac11,1
Processor Name:    Intel Core i7
Processor Speed:    2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors:    1
Total Number Of Cores:    4
L2 Cache (per core):    256 KB
L3 Cache:    8 MB
Memory:    8 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed:    4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version:     IM111.0034.B02
SMC Version (system):    1.54f36
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4850

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Bellerophon.

Re: FF 400 no longer detected on Mac

Does System Profiler show any device connected to Firewire? (if not, it just says Max Speed 800 Mbps)

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by Pathos 2011-06-22 18:36:55)

Correct Jeff, System Profiler displays "Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec" - no device is seen connected. This is why I cannot update the firmware. Can somebody plse confirm if I uninstalled the driver correctly (plse see previous post above) or if there is a step-by-step "how to" uninstall guide (so thatr I could go through everything from the beginning) or has any ideas on how to solve this bizarre issue? RME?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Bellerophon.

Hello everybody,

I have removed the recently problem-free working under OS X 10.05 & OS X 10.06 driver 2.62a (plse see my post above) by following these instructions from the Tips & Tricks section of the Forum that Jeff kindly provided.

I then installed Mac OS X SL (10.6) Intel driver version 2.75. My FF400 keeps its light red and is still not functioning. Which driver version would you install for OS X 10.06.7 (Intel iMac) if you didn't know your FF400's firmware version (but you knew your FF400 was working problem free for a looong time with the 2.62a under OS X 10.5 and later on under OS X 10.6 - because you eventually updated your OS X and still enjoyed FF400) in order to get it running?

I've checked RME's drivers for Mac OS X 10.06 (Intel) and the only one found on the up-to-date page of RME's site fitting my system would be the 2.75, but it doesn't work.

If I remove and install (again) driver vrsn. 2.62a will this function with OS X 10.06.7, although, according to RME's site, it is compatible with OS X 10.4.8 and 10.5?

Is there another driver for Mac OS X 10.06 (Intel) that would fit me? Or perhaps another way to update the firmware? (I guess not because FF400 is not seen by the system under System Profiler/Firewire).

Perhaps via another driver not present to RME's up-to-date driver's page -which is OS X 10.06 compatible?

Please, everybody, any help would come highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Bellerophon.

A driver won't help at this point, since your FF400 hardware is not detected at all. First, make sure all other FW devices are disconnected from your computer. Try a different cable, try a SMC reset on the Mac, try the FF on a different computer.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff, many thanks for your feedback.

- There are no other FW devices (nor have ever been) connected to my iMac except my FF400. So, I disconnected it and proceeded like this:
- I used two different cables (one completely new cable 9to6 pin - no adaptor), purchased yesterday, and one 6to6 pin FW cable with a 9to6 pin adaptor attached (the FF400 was working OK with this one in the past). Unfortunately, the iMac does not see the FF400 with neither of of them. System Profiler/FireWire displays "Max. Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec".
- I did an SMC Reset of the iMac as described in the link you sent:

"Resetting the SMC for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve

Shut down the computer.
    Unplug the computer's power cord.
    Wait fifteen seconds.
    Attach the computer's power cord.
    Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer."

Nothing works. System Profiler/FireWire displays "Max. Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec". FF400 host light is red.

- I tried to connect the FF400 to my Dell Latitude E6400 notebook -on which FF400 was gloriously working under WinXP-. BUT, my OS there, Windows 7 32bit, doesn't want to "see it" and start the usual automatic procedure of installing its driver.

Please note:

I have read this post and followed it step-by-step to install FF400 to my W7 32bit Dell Latitude. This is very frustrating. W7 does not start the "Found New Hardware Wizard" when FF400 is connected to the 4pin FW port of my Latitude notebook. There's no "exclamation mark" appearing in W7 Device Manager, under "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" therefore I cannot install the FF400. 

Moreover, I did change the IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers and tried everyone. That is:

1. Ricoh 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (the "default one for my W7 32bit Latitude E6400 system provided from Dell)
2. 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller, and
3. 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy).

None of the above controllers enables W7 to "see" the FF400 and open the the "Found New Hardware Wizard" so that I can "have disk" and proceed with the installation.

Rock n' Roll?

Any other suggestions please? Anyone from RME please? RME support has not provided a thorough reply to my support inquiry yet.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Bellerophon.

Dear Jeff, I originally posted this issue about my FF400 in the "Workaround for Fireface/iMac problem" topic, here. Do you know how and why it has removed and placed in this new topic, which is title "FF 800 no longer detected on Mac" and which I didn't open?

Strange...

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Bellerophon.

The topic does not belong into the iMac thread, which deals with a very specific problem of an older generation of iMacs. Nothing to do with current i7 based machines.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Did you at some point dis/connect the unit while the Mac was on?

We might be looking at a hardware issue here.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,

thanks for your prompt reply and clarification about the topic. Correct would be though if this new topic was referring to FF400 and not FF800 as it was named from the person who opened it.

No, I did not disconnect the unit at any point. I always used the unit's switch for this.

Do you have any other suggestions/solutions to provide?
Also: any other recommendations on how to connect the unit with my W7 (plse see previous post above)?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Bellerophon.

I would very much appreciate some Professional Guidance asap on this issue, please.

For example: I thought that about updating the firmware of FF400 then install "Mac OS X SL (10.6) Intel driver for Fireface 400 / 800 / UFX, version 2.93. Supports 10.5 in 32 bit, 10.6 in 32 bit and 64 bit. This driver requires firmware 1.70 (FF 400) and 2.77 (FF 800) or higher." from the up-to-date drivers page.

One way to update the firmware though is to have FF400 connected and working with my OS X 10.06 system.

Another way would be to install to my W7 system, which is not possible (plse see two posts above) and I have not been provided with a solution for the OS X 10.6 issue nor for the W7 one.   

Could an RME support professional advice further here, please?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Bellerophon.

Not from support, but fellow user, it seems as if the fireface is defective (as Daniel suggested) (or both firewire ports on your 2 machines, less likely). If both don´t detect it at all, could be the firewire controller on the fireface. Try to find a third computer, if that one also doesn´t detect the fireface it is having technical problems.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Many thanks Vincent. I'll check on a third system for sure. I just thought that a user, an RME or another professional here might have met somthn like this before, and therefore could provide a solution. I didn't find anything similar in the forum though. The "notorious" FF iMac problem topic (and other similar to this) do not include such a case. Strange is that everything was working fine on an iMac i7 purchased a year ago, when a driver update was caused a mess. At this point, I hope it is the h/w controller of the fireface.

Kind regards,
Bellerophon.

I've check the FF400 with a third (WinXP) system and the computer can still not "see it". That clearly (I hope) shows that I'm dealing with a H/W issue. I took a look on RME's site but was not able to locate an RME H/W service point in Hamburg. Can somebody from Synthax GmbH / RME point me to a place in Hamburg where I can bring my unit to? Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Bellerophon.

I think you have to contact synthax or the shop you bought it from.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Hi Pathos. I have exactly the same problem! Interface connected, but nothing happens. "Host" LED burns red. Did you find any resolve?

Vladimir, Russia.

17 (edited by gigalord 2011-06-30 19:07:45)

I checkd my system profile, it says "Max Speed 800 Mbps", and its all.
I have MOTU interface, as second record device. When its connected, system profile says something like that:
"device 0xf1045". I can see this device in system profile menu, if it connected. With RME interface (I have FF400 too), nothing happens.
Can we resolve this issue ourselves?

Vladimir, Russia.

Hi Vladimir, no, no solution found or support provided from RME.

I have tried my FF400 with two additional systems to my OSX 10.6 i7 iMac (W7 and WinXP SP3) where it was not "seen" as well. Same issues as yours for these three different systems (host light remains red, FF400 not "seen" by any system). Therefore I can only assume that this has to do with the unit itself which btw. was working extra fine with OSX 10.6.

Did your unit worked fine too before this occurred?

I have to add that I'm very disappointed because I have received no "official" -and thorough- resolution reply on this subject from RME support. Where it gets more "interesting" is that I want to sent my unit to RME for inspection, have posted this request to a new topic here and have received no reply from RME for three days now. Nice one.

Please let me know if anything you did resolved the problem as I'm "left alone" with it from RME's professionals.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Bellerophon.

The unit requires service. Contact your local distributor for instructions. You won't get any other answer than this, as there is nothing else to be done, sorry.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hello!

Today I had same problem with my fireface 400, which have been working for YEARS with no issues at all. I didnt use it for a week and today, when i powered up the computer, it started fine. But after my kid had been playing some computergames online, it suddenly made the classic "buffer metal sound" that these FF400 sometimes make, and after the host light turned RED...........argh!!!

I restarted the computer unplugged/plugged the device a lot of times with no luck and i was almost crying......LOL:, yeah I can laugh about it now, cause its working again smile

But How i made it work again I am not sure. But a lot of doing the same things over and over again got my FF400 working again. What I did was taking the Firewire PCI-card out clean it a bit, clean the computer with a vacum-cleaner and put Firewire card back in the computer. I Turned the computer on again and the FF400 host light was still red and stil not working. Then I turned the computer off again and took the firewire card out again and put it in again, turn on the computer and STILL no luck!!!!

Then i tried to connect the FF400 to my other mac(which is a laptop, the other one is desktop) and it was NOT working here either(this is when tears appeared, hehe:)

Then I connected it to the desktop again and turned it on and now it was working..... NICE NICE NICE.....

I know this is not "proper technical support", but sometimes being really stubborn and just keep trying, can actually help you out. I had almost identical issues as Pathos, whom Jeff said had a hardware issue and needed techincal support, but I managed to get it working again anyhow.

Good luck!