Topic: Silly question

Hello.

I'm considering a pci-e system, but I've only used usb-systems to date, where all my converters, preamps and I/O are all inside the same piece of hardware. I'm wondering if I could get a signal path to carry from a mic through the preamps and the A/D conversion of the Octamic II to HDSPe AIO using the AES/EBU and then get a digital signal to Pro Tools?

I'm also wondering if I can assign the line outs of the Octamic II to act as monitor outs and if I can send several tracks through only a couple of outs considering the fact that I'm low on monitors and not going to spend money on them for some time.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Silly question

1 yes through aes/ebu or adat (through adat all 8 mics)
2 no you can´t address the outputs of the octamic (they are mic outputs), but you can use the aio analogue output for that (1 stereo out)
And yes that is the normal way to work, 1 monitor pair through which you listen to your protools mix.
And yes PCIe is much more efficient for low latency drivers then usb and RME have the best drivers (I´m not from RME)

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Thanks a lot! I've been totally lost trying to figure that out... Really helpful smile

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the before-mentioned gear during this summer...

Is it also possible to plug headphones to the stereo analog out and is it normal for monitors to be paired in a manner that they use the same cable? I've seen genelec monitors sold separately and through reasoning I come to the conclusion that if I were to buy a pair of genelecs I couldn't plug 'em both to the stereo out or am I wrong?

Yes the AIO also has a headphones output, separate from the stereo out. And no the stereo out is on 2 connectors so genelecs are easy to connect. But even if it wasn´t there are really cables available for about anything you ever want to connect.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Hello again. Turns out my budget has been lowered by a few variables, so what I need to know that can I send a signal trough a mic to the input of Quadmic and through Multiface II to HDSPe AIO or do I need outboard A/D conversion for this? And also, is it possible to sen a signal from Quadmic straight to AIO?

Thank you in advance!