Topic: HDSPe Madi drops audio on SSL Alphalink AX

Hi guys,

New to this forum, but purchased an RME HDSPe Madi + SSL Alphalink AX on win7 X64, together with a HDSPe RAYDAT (which i have been using for a longer period)
the RME MADI is Master and the RAYDAT is synced via int sync.
The Alphalink is slave and i've tried both BNC wordclock and madiclock. The Alphalink locks and audio plays, but when changing ASIO ports in host (i.e. Cubase or Wavelab) ports seem to become silent (no audio in totalmix to be seen either)
this happens most often on madi 1/2 and 3/4 when the system becomes in this state everything is still synced, but no sound is send to the madi ports. Rebooting the system restores it to a working state. but this is not workable.

I had no issues with the SSL alphalink and the RAYDAT, but once the MADI was added and i switched to MADI problems have started
both cards have the latest firmware and share the latest driver.

Thoughts? please advise?

www.analoguemastering.com

Re: HDSPe Madi drops audio on SSL Alphalink AX

Raphie wrote:

the RME MADI is Master and the RAYDAT is synced via int sync.

Do the internal sync ports work on the MADI card?  I thought you had to use BNC to sync the MADI cards to other cards and vice-versa?

I see you mentioned you tried WC, but it sounds like you are referring to WC from MADI card to Alphalink, and not from MADI card to RayDat?

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Correct, i used that "CDrom audio cable" that came with the card and the Raydat does sync to it.
i've now made the alphalink master and had a flawless session tonight. (only thing not yet working is my Ferrofish sending out madi 33-38 rather than 1-16)

Running the primary AD/DA as system master is generally agreed as a "best practice" for lowest jitter at that "primary" AD/DA.

I'm still not sure if the MADI Card's internal Sync connector is active?  Maybe RME can comment as I thought you had to sync the MADI card to other cards (like your RayDat) over BNC Wordclock???

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

The internal sync of the HDSPe series works.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Noted :-)

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

Guys, still having this issue, can someone test and confirm? changing ASIO ports in Steinberg apps, while audio is streaming (or i.e. Wavelab external FX) mutes the HDSPe and reboot is needed

Can you explain a bit more what you do here and why you do it?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, first of all my config
HDSPe MADI (wordclocked to SSL Alphalink via BNC 75ohm lead, yellow led on)
HDSPe Raydat (slave clocked via internal sync)
SSL Alphalink Madi AX > wordclock master working on 44.1
Ferrofish A16 MKII connected via SSL's ADAT ports (so seen by the system as MADI 25-40) slaved to SSL via BNC workclock cable

system works fine and stable however when i use Wavelab 7 and i use "external gear" I can monitor and prepare my master. But as soon as i want to export it the SSL stops sending data to output 1-2 (my external gear output) totalmix doesn't show a signal, de SSL does no longer recieve the signal and i can't get any sound any more out of the madicard until i reboot.

The strange thing is, i use my Raydat for monitoring via spdif and that remains to work, so as soon as i bypass the "External Gear" (Thus bypass the loopback on the HDSPe Madi) i still have sound via the Raydat spdif. Though the madi will not get out of this state until you reboot. After a fresh reboot it keeps on working for 3, 4 or 5 times and then the same thing happens, if it works, it finishes the current stream, it does not lock up or something. Mind u this is without making any changes to asio ports

I can replicate the same behaviour switching audioports in Wavelab (i.e. go from madi 1-2 to 3-4) or in Cubase
I have no sync lost messages on any of the units, neither do i hear pops or crackles.

thoughts?

10 (edited by Raphie 2011-07-10 10:39:57)

It seems to happen only when digicheck is opened btw (monitoring the external returns / inputs

Can confirm now, IF digicheck is configured to monitor the External FX return input (in my case madi 8/7) AND is open then the WL external FX no longer works, and only a reboot can get the system back.

If i don't touch digicheck, i can't seem to make it happen.

Did you uncheck 'Set sample rate' in DIGICheck's F3 dialog?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

No, will test that, would be great if it boils down to something simple like that, always takes a while finding your way once moving to a new system.

did test that doesn't seem to make a difference

Hi Raphie,
Do you have Wavelab and Cubase open at the same time?

Have you tried this with just the MADI card in the system?

Have you double checked your Alpha Link settings and routing options?
They are complicated and it can be easy to have something set wrong.

Here is the list I use that is from SSL's  knowledge base for settings up an ALphalink to a RME MADI card.
I have not done any mixed card setups other than 2 MADI cards so i do not know how have a non MADI in the setup could effect things.
It seems from your posts that the clock is setup right. I would double check your Alphalink settings and test this with out the Raydat in the system.

--------------

Both the MADI-SX and the MADI-AX are covered, you can pick what you need if you write to a customer. Obviously you would pick the bits that relate to the I/O type the client wants to use.

Alpha-Link MADI-AX connected to MADI DAW:

A) Routing ANA In to MADI Out (for recording)

1) Press the OUTPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until the MADI Output LED is lit. Then hold down the OUTPUT button.
2) While holding down the OUTPUT button, press the INPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until the ANA Input LED *only* is lit (the ADAT input LED should be off).
3) Release the buttons. ANA In is now routed to MADI Out.

B) Routing MADI In to ANA Out (for playback)

1) Press the OUTPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until the ANA Output LED is lit. Then hold down the OUTPUT button.
2) While holding down the OUTPUT button, press the INPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until the MADI Input LED is lit.
3) Release the buttons. MADI In is now routed to ANA Out.

C) Making sure MADI In is not going to ADAT Out.

1) Press the OUTPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until the ADAT Output LED is lit. Then hold down the OUTPUT button.
2) While holding down the OUTPUT button, press the INPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until all the Input LEDs are off.
3) Release the buttons. You can now be sure that MADI channels 1-24 are not going to the ADAT Outputs instead of the ANA Outputs.

D) Routing ADAT In to MADI Out (for recording)

1) Press the OUTPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until the MADI Output LED is lit. Then hold down the OUTPUT button.
2) While holding down the OUTPUT button, press the INPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until the ADAT Input LED *only* is lit (the ANA input LED should be off).
3) Release the buttons. ADAT In is now routed to MADI Out.

E) Routing MADI In to ADAT Out (for playback)

1) Press the OUTPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until the ADAT Output LED is lit. Then hold down the OUTPUT button.
2) While holding down the OUTPUT button, press the INPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until the MADI Input LED is lit.

F) Routing ANA In and ADAT In to MADI Out (for recording)

2) While holding down the OUTPUT button, press the INPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until the ANA Input LED and the ADAT input LED are both lit.
3) Release the buttons. ANA In and ADAT In are now routed to MADI Out.

Alpha-Link MADI-SX connected to MADI DAW:

A) Routing ANA In to MADI Out (for recording)

2) While holding down the OUTPUT button, press the INPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until the ANA Input LED *only* is lit (the AES input LED should be off).
3) Release the buttons. ANA In is now routed to MADI Out.

B) Routing MADI In to ANA Out (for playback)

1) Press the OUTPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until the ANA Output LED is lit. Then hold down the OUTPUT button.

C) Making sure MADI In is not going to AES Out.

1) Press the OUTPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until the AES Output LED is lit. Then hold down the OUTPUT button.
2) While holding down the OUTPUT button, press the INPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until all the Input LEDs are off.
3) Release the buttons. You can now be sure that MADI channels 1-24 are not going to the AES Outputs instead of the ANA Outputs.

D) Routing AES In to MADI Out (for recording)

2) While holding down the OUTPUT button, press the INPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until the AES Input LED *only* is lit (the ANA input LED should be off).
3) Release the buttons. AES In is now routed to MADI Out.

E) Routing MADI In to AES Out (for playback)

1) Press the OUTPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until the AES Output LED is lit. Then hold down the OUTPUT button.
3) Release the buttons. MADI In is now routed to AES Out.

F) Routing ANA In and AES In to MADI Out (for recording)

2) While holding down the OUTPUT button, press the INPUT button, repeatedly if necessary, until the ANA Input LED and the AES input LED are both lit.
3) Release the buttons. ANA In and AES In are now routed to MADI Out.

-------------------

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig | ADK Pro Audio
www.adkproaudio.com
https://www.facebook.com/adkmg