Topic: Latency In The Madi Bridge

Today I've plugged up a new RME Madi Bridge to the 3348hr with jumper relocation. I get a very flakey sound through the Sony Dmx R100 with many clicks and digital noise, as well as some programme. Is this a latency issue, I can't find any literature about the latency time in this unit, and if so, do we compensate at the 3348hr? Paul Turney

Re: Latency In The Madi Bridge

There is no latency worth mentioning or compensating. Are all devices clocked correctly?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Jumper relocation? The internal jumper of the MADI Bridge adresses the old Sony Dash only. As said in the manual. You tried a different input?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

i tried the system with no jumper relocation, then with. my system worked wonderfully until the madi bridge was placed in line, which is why i find myself here on the forum!. i believe latency is worth mentioning, and i would like to have a value please. i only tried the 5/6 inputs for the dash 3348hr. if there is latency (dmxr100 is 2.5 ms) i could compensate at the dash. i need this system to be running asap, and i have 2 other units connected: both ssl madiextreme cards running pyramix 7 on pc,

thanks,
paul turney

The MADI Bridge has zero latency, as it works passive, not decoding/reclocking the MADI signal. If you get problems with the Dash signal, simply try another input (which equals 5/6 with no jumper change). Saves you opening the unit again.

How long are the coax cables from the Dash to the MADI Bridge?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias, I Have Taken The Madi Bridge Out And Found The Sound To Be Perfect. Then I Made New Bnc Cables And Connected The Madi Bridge To The Dmxr100. Again The Sound Reverted Back To Previous Bad Signal With Some Programme Content But Mainly Noise And Clicks. I Tried Another Channel On The Mb And No Difference. The Cables Are No More Than 20 M Long. I Would Have Thought They Were An Issue If The System Didn't Work When Out Of The Madi Bridge Chain. Any Other Clues I Could Follow Please? Paul

Matthias, perhaps it is an issue with 64 or 56 channels. The R100 card does 56 channels, and the bridge may be set to 64 ? Would this create problems, and if so, can I fix it with the front panel controls?

Paul

The bridge is entirely passive and can not be set to specific channel formats or so. It will just pass on whatever it is given.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

HI, I'm getting another one in to check to see whether the product I purchased is faulty, can't see any other course of action....Paul

To the best of my knowledge, I would expect the DMX-R100 to not accept the 3348HR's MADI output signal at all.
This used to be the case due to the 3348HR not transmitting a MADI signal which conforms with AES10, and the DMX-R100 interpreting a MADI signal extremely strictly.
I am surprised that it works for you, if you connect the two directly.

Which firmware is your DMX-R100 MADI board?
Does the MADI pcb on the 3348HR have hardware modifications?

Best regards,
Stephan Flock
DirectOut GmbH
www.directout.eu