Topic: 2ms latency @ Zero Latency Monitoring improvable?

Hi
I tested the direct monitoring of my Fireface UC, there seems to be 2ms latency. As I want to use it in a live setup this seems quite a lot for a direct signal. I wonder if this could be improved (by RME). There are digital mixers with only a few samples latency out there. Ideas?
Thanks Armin

Re: 2ms latency @ Zero Latency Monitoring improvable?

Digitally the direct monitoring of the UC has a few samples as well...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Don't forget that AD/DA conversion takes time, too! There is no such thing as zero latency in digital, you can only make it zero between converters.

ok I see! Sorry. And thanks for explanations!

Some converters are faster than others though, including some of the RME range. But these are used in higher priced products. wink

2ms equals 2 thousandth of a second. (as far as I understand.
equals 0.002

A.K.A. 2 feet "at the speed of sound".  Moving 2 feet closer to the speaker will negate this tiny delay :-P

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

8 (edited by arminmetz 2011-07-07 08:26:03)

yes it´s nearly nothing but I think we can feel the difference especialy with in-ear monitoring. But no prob, just want to get as close as possible and this it seems to be in that price range.

I can see this being a small issue for singers w/ IEM's ("head sound" combined with IEM's), but any instrument and "feel" is not likely to be influenced by such a small delay (equivalent to standing 2' in front of your guitar amp).

Try flipping the phase and see which way the singer's prefer their vocal mic's sound in their IEM's.  Might be all it takes.  A variable phase tool might even help to get their vocal "head sound" working constructively (in phase) with their IEM's.  I believe this phenomenon is generally more about phase relationships (frequency domain) than latency (time domain and "feel/timing").

If you consider that people often mix monitors through a digital console, the latency is likely to be greater than 2ms even with something like a Venue or PM5D.  Then add floor monitors that will inherently add more delay (speed of sound through the air to your ears) and 2ms is practically nill by comparison (but floor monitors aren't blocking the singer's acoustic sound from reaching their own ears like high-isolation IEM's generally will)...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

interesting facts, Randyman!